• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Getting a bit politically correct round here...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
    That is a story about Italy being bent. The EU comes out of that story pretty well.
    I thought it was confirmation bias he was suffering from.
    Although it's far more likely that he's simply thick as mince like many of his fellow travellers.
    Hard Brexit now!
    #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
      It is an odd thing to obsess about. I read it as the EU is good at knowing what comes in and out of he accounts, but a bit sloppy and/or bent at some of its spending.
      I think it's important to know that the EU isnt bent, in the sense it's not fraudulently funneling the money off.

They don't really need to do that, they can pretty much get away with anything anyway, why bother going to the trouble of incriminating yourself when you can pay yourself pretty much anything, tax free etc etc.

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
        Well we are cracking down on bigots, racism and sexism, that's true enough.
        I'll bite.

This is your website, not mine, so it is your right to do this.

What interests me though is why you, and many other gatekeepers to public speech in the modern world, choose to do so.
        It wasn't always the case. In the 1970's people could be bigots, sexists, and racists, and nobody would bat an eyelid. And in other parts of the world outside the west you still can be.

Why have things changed? I don't believe that it is due to an improvement in moral character of the population, or their sense of natural justice, because this would imply that back in the 1970's people were immoral, which I don't believe is the case - many more people went to church back then than they do now, and levels of crime were if anything lower than they are now.

I think today's environment of political correctness is an abberation, an experiment that will soon fail in many, but not all, ways. Nature has always had competition between the races and the sexes. It has always had people with forthright opinon. All of these things are necessary for evolution and survival, because if everyone is the same, then everyone becomes vulnerable to specific external threats. Diversity, in race, personality, and many other ways provides strength by having every type of defence available for any problem that occurs.

Comment

Originally posted by GJABS View Post
          IThis is your website, not mine
          Wrong. This is not Cojak's website. Nor mine for that matter.

What interests me though is...<justification of abhorrent world view, through ignorant rewrite of history>
          No, it doesn't interest you. You're just pissed off because you get called out as a bigot.
          Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by GJABS View Post

Why have things changed?
            Two things have changed.

1) People have become more tolerant. Media exposure has probably helped with this - for example I remember the gay couple on what become known as "East Benders" in the '80s - the first gay kiss on TV. No-one bats an eyelid now if there's a gay couple on a show. The decline of religion has possibly helped too - the church has seemed to find it harder to catch up on many fronts.

2) Legislation has changed. The Equality Act 2006 and 2010 has meant that people have to proactively think about inclusion.

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
              Two things have changed.

1) People have become more tolerant. Media exposure has probably helped with this - for example I remember the gay couple on what become known as "East Benders" in the '80s - the first gay kiss on TV. No-one bats an eyelid now if there's a gay couple on a show. The decline of religion has possibly helped too - the church has seemed to find it harder to catch up on many fronts.

2) Legislation has changed. The Equality Act 2006 and 2010 has meant that people have to proactively think about inclusion.
              The trouble with all this tolerance is we have ended up tolerating the intolerable. Back down in reality if a gay couple were to attempt a kiss in many of our capitals east end no go zones populated by followers of a particular religion they'd be lucky to see such tolerance reciprocated.

Part of society has changed and become more tolerant, the other part has become less tolerant and follows the strict edicts of a medieval religion.

It is the elephant in the room that many liberals choose to ignore.

EDIT: Interesting piece from Telegraph

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukne...a-Islamic.html

Tower Hamlets’ gay community has become a particular target of extremists. Homophobic crimes in the borough have risen by 80 per cent since 2007/8, and by 21 per cent over the last year, a period when there was a slight drop in London as a whole.
              Last year, a mob of 30 young Muslims stormed a local gay pub, the George and Dragon, beating and abusing patrons. Many customers of the pub told The Sunday Telegraph that they have been attacked and harassed by local Muslim youths. In 2008 a 20-year-old student, Oli Hemsley, was left permanently paralysed after an attack by a group of young Muslims outside the pub. Only one of his assailants has been caught and jailed.
              Last edited by excon; 2 September 2017, 07:52.

Comment

Getting a bit politically correct round here...

Originally posted by excon View Post
                The trouble with all this tolerance is we have ended up tolerating the intolerable. Back down in reality if a gay couple were to attempt a kiss in many of our capitals east end no go zones populated by followers of a particular religion they'd be lucky to see such tolerance reciprocated.

Part of society has changed and become more tolerant, the other part has become less tolerant and follows the strict edicts of a medieval religion.

It is the elephant in the room that many liberals choose to ignore.

I guess you're arguing with GJABS now because we don't tolerate bigots, racists and sexists.

(Not sure he'll be too pleased with being called a liberal though...)
                "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
                - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
                  I guess you're arguing with GJABS now because we don't tolerate bigots, racists and sexists.

(Not sure he'll be too pleased with being called a liberal though...)
                  I replied to mudskipper, I agree with what GJABS is saying so I'm really not following you.

My point is liberals won't tolerate bigots, racists and sexists unless their muslim because they are tulip scared of them.

Does that clarify things?

Comment

Originally posted by excon View Post
                    I replied to mudskipper, I agree with what GJABS is saying so I'm really not following you.

My point is liberals won't tolerate bigots, racists and sexists unless their muslim because they are tulip scared of them.

Does that clarify things?
                    It does, and it means that you're new to these parts. We don't tolerate bigots, racists and sexists full stop.

It may surprise you to hear that we ban anyone with those views, and some posters banned have been Muslim. But since that doesn't fit with your world view you may not hear it.
                    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
                    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
                      Wrong. This is not Cojak's website. Nor mine for that matter.

No, it doesn't interest you. You're just pissed off because you get called out as a bigot.
                      The website is effectively owned by the mods, because the mods have been delegated authority to run things by the actual owner. The mods are gods.

I'm not pissed off at all.
                      Last edited by GJABS; 2 September 2017, 09:14.

Comment

Working...
                      X