• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Getting a bit politically correct round here...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by excon View Post
    As Aneurin Bevan said:

"This is my truth, tell me yours"
    If you have facts to back up your truth, that's OK. If you're repeating a lie and have no evidence to prove it to be true, then it's a lie.
    …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
      If you have facts to back up your truth, that's OK. If you're repeating a lie and have no evidence to prove it to be true, then it's a lie.
      And there are some obvious Alt-Right lies being pedalled like this: http://forums.contractoruk.com/gener...d-shaping.html

In oPM's defence, I suspect that he is just a witless simpleton propagating these lies, while believing them to be the truth.

Comment

"Facts" can be brought to bare on either side of most arguments, it comes down to who you believe. We all like to think we are blind like Lady Justice but often frame these decisions in our own world views.

Something to think about.

Comment

northernladuk and northernladyuk should merge and become northerpersonuk

Comment

Originally posted by Eirikur View Post
            I'm surprised there haven't been complaints about that already.

Comment

Originally posted by Eirikur View Post
              I was just going to poison his brew and be done with it.

Comment

Originally posted by excon View Post
                "Facts" can be brought to bare on either side of most arguments, it comes down to who you believe. We all like to think we are blind like Lady Justice but often frame these decisions in our own world views.

Something to think about.
                If someone says "This person/group said such and such"
                And they are asked to prove that the person/group actually said it, but they have no proof except a newspaper that says "if they were to say it then..."
                Then it's not true.

Repeating it doesn't make it true.
                Providing evidence that the person/group actually did say it is what makes it true.

Some things are true/false. It's not about what you "believe" it's about what are the facts.
                Ignoring facts because they don't fit your beliefs does not mean the facts go away.
                …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

And they are asked to prove that the person/group actually said it, but they have no proof except a newspaper that says "if they were to say it then..."
                  Then it's not true.

Providing evidence that the person/group actually did say it is what makes it true.

Some things are true/false. It's not about what you "believe" it's about what are the facts.
                  Ignoring facts because they don't fit your beliefs does not mean the facts go away.
                  A bit like the 100 billion Euro UK's EU exit figure. God knows where that came from.

Comment

Then it's not true.

Indeed and let me illustrate this with an example.

It is a well known fact that the UK contributes approx 180 million a week to the EU. This is a fact, you can look it up.

However to suggest that the UK contributes 350 million a week to the EU is not a fact, it isn't some different world view point selecting an alternative fact, it is simply a lie.
                    I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by milanbenes View Post
                      on my summer holiday, on the beach, I read my first Terry Pratchett book, recommended by a friend, "Guards, Guards!".

I gotta say, CUK could actually be one of the "guilds" in a Terry Pratchett book

surreal isn't it

Milan.
                      I'm on holiday next week, I would love to have a terry p book to read but I think I've read all of them, some twice. Shame eh.

Comment

Working...
                      X