• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Post-Contracting Life

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Northern Soul View Post
    Hobbies - classic cars (Volkswagens), love spending time working on my two babies, hence the notion of car mechanic , but be a professional requires formal training which alas is nigh on impossible to get at my age....
    Not if you've got the money to pay for it.

If I were to quit, I'd make a small fortune out of working in theatre - directing and acting. This would be possible for me, as I'd start with a large fortune.
    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
      Not if you've got the money to pay for it.

If I were to quit, I'd make a small fortune out of working in theatre - directing and acting. This would be possible for me, as I'd start with a large fortune.
      Ahh the Trump way....
      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Post-Contracting Life

Be like Fred -
        • Take a permie job
        • One that feels like a paid vacation
        • Based somewhere nice
        • Take home GBP 10k a month
        • Tax free
        • Free car and fuel
        • All food and nice apartment paid for
        • Four business class flights home a year for Fred
        • Two for out here Mrs Bloggs
        • Daily per diem
        • Some other stuff......
        Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
        Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Originally posted by Northern Soul View Post
          Hobbies - classic cars (Volkswagens), love spending time working on my two babies, hence the notion of car mechanic , but be a professional requires formal training which alas is nigh on impossible to get at my age. Some pocket money to be earnt chauffeuring brides in my resored 66 camper however. That is on the radar

And travel, missus happy for me to go for away for a month or so which I'll likely. Just not five years

cheers
          Flipping cars?

Buy up tatty VW's, do them up and sell them on. Probably wont make a fortune but it will keep you busy.
          "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Start a classic VW restoration blog/youtube channel
            "Is someone you don't like allowed to say something you don't like? If that is the case then we have free speech."- Elon Musk

Comment

Originally posted by woohoo View Post
              I suppose the OP could train as psychiatrist, seems no end of Brexit voters on here.
              FTFY
              "Don't part with your illusions; when they are gone you may still exist, but you have ceased to live" Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Fred Bloggs View Post
                Post-Contracting Life

Be like Fred -
                • Take a permie job
                • One that feels like a paid vacation
                • Based somewhere nice
                • Take home GBP 10k a month
                • Tax free
                • Free car and fuel
                • All food and nice apartment paid for
                • Four business class flights home a year for Fred
                • Two for out here Mrs Bloggs
                • Daily per diem
                • Some other stuff......
                Where can you get a job like that. Iraq?

Comment

Originally posted by GJABS View Post
                  Where can you get a job like that. Iraq?
                  Be a British educated engineer with many years experience.

Comment

To reply to OP's original question, I would say don't give up on PM work. Just put it on to the back burner somewhat and look towards doing other things while you are looking. Yes your marketability might have gone down, but I doubt that it has completely disappeared. Keep looking, and focus on only those jobs that look good on Jobswerve etc.

As far as what to do instead, well the world is your lobster, as Delboy would say. Think about your life experiences and values, and have a think about what you could do to make the world a better place as you would define that. Don't think only in terms of making money - cast the net wider than that.

I am in a similar position to you, and while my market is not dead it has shrunk a lot over recent years. I am defacto semi-retired.
                    I spend my days getting into arguments with lefties on Facebook.

Comment

Originally posted by GJABS View Post
                      To reply to OP's original question, I would say don't give up on PM work. Just put it on to the back burner somewhat and look towards doing other things while you are looking. Yes your marketability might have gone down, but I doubt that it has completely disappeared. Keep looking, and focus on only those jobs that look good on Jobswerve etc.

As far as what to do instead, well the world is your lobster, as Delboy would say. Think about your life experiences and values, and have a think about what you could do to make the world a better place as you would define that. Don't think only in terms of making money - cast the net wider than that.

I am in a similar position to you, and while my market is not dead it has shrunk a lot over recent years. I am defacto semi-retired.
                      I spend my days getting into arguments with lefties on Facebook.
                      You mean we aren't worth arguing with?

BTW have you ever thought of doing any sort of volunteer work? There is a massive variety out there for various time commitments and varying skills.

For example if you do a sport you can help out with events, if you drink real ale then there is stuff you can do for CAMRA, if you are good at gardening/environmental stuff there are stuff you can do for that etc.

Comment

Working...
                      X