• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How big is your CV ??

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    So if you've seen plenty of threads on CV sizes why don't you read them and you'll have your answer...
    ^^^This.

The thing is there is no right length of CV.

It depends what you do and who you are targeting.

When I had interviewed and been accepted by one of my previous clients I had to redo my 4 page CV into their required format to comply with the paperwork requirements. My CV ended up being 12 pages.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

10 years, 2 pages.

My CV is mostly just a list of buzzwords / technologies I've used and I've cut the less interesting things and the stuff I don't want to do to maintain the 2 page limit I've self imposed.

Since I'm a tech, this usually gets me in the door from a cold send and then gives me the opportunity to talk about my roles without just repeating what I've written on paper.

I do however have a cover letter that I send for the roles that are more high level and both routes are fairly successful for me.

Comment

25 years 3pages

Comment

Originally posted by Darren_Test View Post
          Thanks a lot. What we have seen so far doesn't conclude anything...Hope will get more feedback.

18 (Years) - 5 (Pages)
          30 (Years) - 4 (Pages)
          20 (Years) - 2 (Pages)
          19 (Years) - 9 (Pages)
          So you are looking from a conclusion based on list from a bunch of random people you have absolutely no information about?

You just haven't got a clue and seem to be hell bent on proving it this week.
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
            So you are looking from a conclusion based on list from a bunch of random people you have absolutely no information about?

You just haven't got a clue and seem to be hell bent on proving it this week.
            I am trying to understand if my 5 page CV is the turn off for hiring managers. Based on feedback so far it doesn't looks to be. So please bear with me. Not trying to prove anyone right or wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
              21yrs - 3 pages (+ a 4th page of raw technologies listed for search engines, which worked well 10 years agon but I think I'm going to bin next time I'm looking).
              mine too, my 5th page is full of technologies, apps, domains listed to get through the screening process.

Comment

So far we have..

18 (Years) - 5 (Pages)
                30 (Years) - 4 (Pages)
                20 (Years) - 2 (Pages)
                19 (Years) - 9 (Pages)
                21 (Years) - 4 (Pages)
                20+ (Years) - 4 (Pages)
                10 (Years) - 2 (Pages)
                25 (Years) - 3 (Pages)

Comment

Originally posted by SuperZ View Post
                  Main CV is 9 pages 19 years. Luckily my CV goes to enough good companies with good people reading it who can decide for themselves to just read the first few pages if they're only interested in recent experience, or just skim it to pick up on certain experience, rather than binning it because they think it's too long. I have never had a problem landing roles. It's usually 7 or 8 so do need to summarise some of the older roles.
                  I can conjure up a shorter version but hardly bother. I don't see any hard rules to follow with CV's. Different things will appeal to different people. Ie, you could tailor your CV to the role but there's a lot who will be impressed by experience they don't even need.
                  Could retire soon so dont care if some bin it , *uck em :P
                  Might not be rules but there is consensus, guidance, research and opinion and nearly all of those says 9 pages is too long.

That said everytime we have someone with 9+ pages they will defend it to their dying breath so guess the same will be true here.
                  Last edited by northernladuk; 26 August 2017, 13:13.

Comment

Originally posted by Darren_Test View Post
                    So far we have..

18 (Years) - 5 (Pages)
                    30 (Years) - 4 (Pages)
                    20 (Years) - 2 (Pages)
                    19 (Years) - 9 (Pages)
                    21 (Years) - 4 (Pages)
                    20+ (Years) - 4 (Pages)
                    10 (Years) - 2 (Pages)
                    25 (Years) - 3 (Pages)
                    So the answer to your question is looking like yes it might be.
                    Last edited by northernladuk; 26 August 2017, 13:14.

Comment

It might not be the length of your CV, but the content, how it's written and how well it reflects you.
                      …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Working...
                      X