• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Viewing a house you can't afford = well would you?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Gibbon View Post
    Because most people's instinct is based on Vitruvian principles, which also apply to valuing the physical appearance of the person. ...
    Interesting post, but most people's instinct on dwellings is simply based on where they lived or spent time in their first years.

For example, the first Saxon invaders must have found for the taking beautiful huge Roman villas built with the best Vitruvian principles. But their instincts were that these were repellent places, cold stone cavernous mausoleums reminiscent of death. They far preferred shacks or modest halls built of wood and mud, in which they could light an open fire in the middle, simply because those were the kind of dwellings in which they had been raised (that and the fact they knew how to build and maintain them).
    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
      Interesting post, but most people's instinct on dwellings is simply based on where they lived or spent time in their first years.

For example, the first Saxon invaders must have found for the taking beautiful huge Roman villas built with the best Vitruvian principles. But their instincts were that these were repellent places, cold stone cavernous mausoleums reminiscent of death. They far preferred shacks or modest halls built of wood and mud, in which they could light an open fire in the middle, simply because those were the kind of dwellings in which they had been raised (that and the fact they knew how to build and maintain them).
      But why don't I like Victorian houses then?

I grew up in them and dislike them. And so do two of my siblings.
      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

How they viewed the buildings is impossible to quantify, however there wasn't that many of them compared with the rest of the empire, Britain only attained 7% urbanisation (In Italy it was 40%, Gaul 12%). They also didn't have the craftsmen or technology to repair or replicate them. Also they had fallen into disrepair by the time of the Saxon invasions with the notables leaving Britain soon after the Legions circa 410 AD.
        But I discovered nothing else but depraved, excessive superstition. Pliny the younger

Comment

So I should be aiming for a crappy council terrace house in a rain-swept new town in central Scotland? Ah, no thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Lambert Simnel View Post
            So I should be aiming for a crappy council terrace house in a rain-swept new town in central Scotland? Ah, no thanks.
            FTFY

You didn't need all those extra words
            …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
              But why don't I like Victorian houses then?

I grew up in them and dislike them. And so do two of my siblings.
              Hard to say. But did your father have a bushy Lord Kitchener moustache and a collection of birch and bamboo canes in a hollowed out elephant's foot?

Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Working...
              X