• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Brexit - where is my sack cloth?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sack cloth? Is that what common people call their underpants?

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
      The last Italian car I owned, I got it wrapped in clear plastic before it left the showroom. No stone chips, and all I had to do was wash the dirt off to reveal the original showroom polish
      Yeah I drove an Alfa and everything was held on by sellotape!
      Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
        Australia demands the same rights in the UK as EU citizens

So when the UK's arm has been twisted to allow freedom of movement for EU citizens to get a trade deal, every other country will demand it too, and the UK will end up with mass migration * 10.

Hard Brexit 'offers £135bn annual boost' to economy - BBC News

Nothing to worry about, and SAS is right. or , you choose.
        Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

Originally posted by PhiltheGreek View Post
          Sack cloth? Is that what common people call their underpants?

What are underpants?
          "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by Hobosapien View Post
            Hard Brexit 'offers £135bn annual boost' to economy - BBC News

Nothing to worry about, and SAS is right. or , you choose.
            Only if the UK unilaterally removes all tariffs and regulatory requirements on all goods coming into the UK. No country would bother to negotiate a trade deal if the UK has unilaterally already removed all the tariffs, and incidentally Professor Minford has stated huge swathes of British industry would be laid to waste as they fail to compete with the cheap imports and battle against massive tariffs to sell goods abroad. He thinks the UK should become a services only economy.

MPs react after Vote Leave economist admits Brexit would 'mostly eliminate manufacturing' - Chronicle Live

This is one of the suggestions that has been floating around for years like unilateral nuclear disarmament, a 10% flat tax or a guaranteed universal income for everyone.

Incidentally part of Patrick Minford's proposal includes freedom of movement extended to all countries to allow employers to recruit anyone they need.

Last edited by BlasterBates; 20 August 2017, 10:39.
            I'm alright Jack

Comment

Only if the UK unilaterally removes all tariffs and regulatory requirements on all goods coming into the UK. No country would bother to negotiate a trade deal if the UK has unilaterally already removed all the tariffs, and incidentally Professor Minford has stated huge swathes of British industry would be laid to waste as they fail to compete with the cheap imports and battle against massive tariffs to sell goods abroad. He thinks the UK should become a services only economy. ...

They're not enough out of their box to think it through. Allow me. They remove import tariffs so get all the business then offer a value added service where all items are checked for quality and improved where necessary before exporting them.

So no longer 'made in Great Britain' but more 'handled by Great Britain'. Worked for Lotus when they offered 'handling by Lotus' to cars from their parent company, Proton. All they handled was the badge stuck on the car's rear end.

Then any export tariffs are offset by the perceived improvement in quality.
              Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                What are underpants?
                Knickers to you darling!
                Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
                  Knickers to you darling!
                  ohhh, - i say!

Comment

Originally posted by Hobosapien View Post
                    They're not enough out of their box to think it through. Allow me. They remove import tariffs so get all the business then offer a value added service where all items are checked for quality and improved where necessary before exporting them.

So no longer 'made in Great Britain' but more 'handled by Great Britain'. Worked for Lotus when they offered 'handling by Lotus' to cars from their parent company, Proton. All they handled was the badge stuck on the car's rear end.

Then any export tariffs are offset by the perceived improvement in quality.
                    He is actually right by the way, when I studied business I did an assignment to to evaluate Taiwan's industrial strategy, basically involved unilaterally removing all tariffs as no-one was ever going to do a deal with Taiwan, they also slashed taxes, and created enterprise zones.

However the UK is not Taiwan, it would mean huge numbers of companies going out of business which depend on the EU, building entirely new companies and slashing the public sector. This would be a rerun of Thatcher era, in which Minford was influential as her favourite economic advisor and all the misery that went along with it. That's not what Leave voters had in mind.

This Brexit vision from Minford has an air of "Moonraker" about it, i.e. destroy everything and rebuild a new Brexit Utopia.

I'm alright Jack

Comment

This Brexit vision from Minford has an air of "Moonraker" about it, i.e. destroy everything and rebuild a new Brexit Utopia.

May as well, the robots and AI and AI robots will take all the jobs anyway.

Let them, tax them, and give the humans a citizens income so they only need to earn extra if they want all the bling.

Sorted.

Comment

Working...
                      X