• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Hipster causes murder on a bike

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    Footage catches motorist's near-death experience in Leeds | Daily Mail Online

The majority of comments blame the pedestrians as its a car that nearly hits them. If it was a cyclist that nearly hit them they would have blamed the cyclist. Or maybe all of them Or maybe their head would just explode....
    It's the Daily Mail they always blame the more vunerable road user.

In London you know when there is a crossing to be careful especially if the lights change from red to green as people may still try and cross. You can warn people not to try it by honking.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
      It's the Daily Mail they always blame the more vunerable road user.

In London you know when there is a crossing to be careful especially if the lights change from red to green as people may still try and cross. You can warn people not to try it by honking.
      Lights don't change red to green, they go to amber. That still means stop. For that matter, so does green, unless the road is clear.

IMHO ( ) this whole subject - be it cyclists, drivers, pedestrians or random dogs - will never go away until people realise that none of them has a divine right to proceed if there's something in the way or very likely to be in the way any second now (like a big truck turning left...).
      Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
        Lights don't change red to green, they go to amber. That still means stop. For that matter, so does green, unless the road is clear.

IMHO ( ) this whole subject - be it cyclists, drivers, pedestrians or random dogs - will never go away until people realise that none of them has a divine right to proceed if there's something in the way or very likely to be in the way any second now (like a big truck turning left...).
        I think we all agree that with a minor bit of consideration from everyone there would be no issues around.

The guy is a idiot and should be found guilty. The sentence should be shortened as she contributed.

However she is young, slim and pretty so he will get the max. If he had hit an old, fat, ugly woman (or a man) he would get probation.

Comment

The majority of comments blame the pedestrians as its a car that nearly hits them.
          You're surprised at that? Daily mail readers, let along commenters, aren't known for their intelligence and wit.

In many European countries the law is simple - the less vulnerable road user is responsible for any damage caused to the more vulnerable road user. The consequences may be reduced if there's clear idiocy on the part of the more vulnerable, but it won't be entirely removed.

I've no idea whether it makes the roads safer, but at least you know where you stand WRT the law.
          Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
            You're surprised at that? Daily mail readers, let along commenters, aren't known for their intelligence and wit.

In many European countries the law is simple - the less vulnerable road user is responsible for any damage caused to the more vulnerable road user. The consequences may be reduced if there's clear idiocy on the part of the more vulnerable, but it won't be entirely removed.

I've no idea whether it makes the roads safer, but at least you know where you stand WRT the law.
            Agreed.

However these are the sort of people who will probably be in the jury. Imagine you were on that jury - you would probably be the only intelligent person there!

Personally I feel that if the least vulnerable is always responsible then it leads to people taking chances they should not take. There are enough nutters on foot, bike and car without making it worse.

I also agree strongly with Mal that we all need a bit of consideration.

Here is an interesting case Horror moment van crashes into 4-year-old as he crosses the street - Mirror Online : the van driver (and the cyclist) did nothing wrong. Would either have been prosecuted in other European countries. Personally I would hope not.

Though I might add that if I am driving(or cycling) and I see pedestrians, children or animals then I slow down so I can stop if they dash out.

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
              Actually not all crossings have amber lights.

They have removed amber from some crossings particularly at junctions as they think it makes drivers more likely to go through them.

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                Actually not all crossings have amber lights.

They have removed amber from some crossings particularly at junctions as they think it makes drivers more likely to go through them.
                Really? Never seen that in the UK. Not even sure that's legal.
                Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Cyclist Charlie Alliston guilty over pedestrian's death - BBC News

Mrs Briggs' family said they plan to campaign for tougher laws to stop pedestrians from texting.

Of course, motorised vehicles still free to kill cyclists e.g. No charges a year after Chris Boardman's mother killed - BBC News

Comment

Cyclist Charlie Alliston guilty over pedestrian's death - BBC News

Mrs Briggs' family said they plan to campaign for tougher laws to stop pedestrians from texting.
                    No they didn't. They want tougher laws against cyclists.

Of course, motorised vehicles still free to kill cyclists e.g. No charges a year after Chris Boardman's mother killed - BBC News
                    There was no CCTV in that case. The previous report stated the police were appealing for witnesses indicating there wasn't sufficient number of people who saw the incident to charge the motorist.

If you have an accident in a car where you run over a pedestrian or cyclist and there is no CCTV then unless there are a sufficient number of other witnesses - and sufficient depends on what the witnesses were doing - the CPS have no hope in getting a conviction for that particular incident due to reasonable doubt so are inclined not to prosecute.

If you don't stop then the CPS can do you for hit and run instead.

Hence the wear bright colours etc is to help you if are in that situation as witnesses are likely to be other motorists who observed they saw a cyclist.

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
                      Bugger.

Not guilty.

Now what am I supposed to do with all the timber for the scaffold.

Guilty of "Furious Riding".

Ho hum.

Ooooo, the last one got 7 months:

Cyclist jailed for causing pavement death | road.cc

And this scrote got a year:

Criminal sentence - Philip Douglas Benwell - court: Bournemouth Crown Court
                      Judge said to expect a prison sentence - let's just hope the arrogant little sh** gets his in the showers with "Big Bubba"
                      Do what thou wilt

Comment

Working...
                      X