• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Monday Links from the Bench vol. CCCXCVIII

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Monday Links from the Bench vol. CCCXCVIII

It may rain later, so you're probably safest wasting your time on the Internet
    • The Solar Eclipse vs. Solar Electricity - How will the US electrical supply system, already barely holding together under normal use, cope with the forthcoming solar eclipse? ”In March 2017, solar provided a record 2 percent of all the electricity used nationwide. And for three hours on March 11, the electricity used by Californians was about 50 percent solar. That’s a big deal because our electric grid wasn’t designed with solar power in mind. Frankly, our electric grid — the network of wires connecting power plants to your home outlets and back again — wasn’t really designed at all.”

• Martin Crane's hideous chair was the true star of Frasier - Helen Lewis argues that the beat-up recliner epitomised the fundamental spirit of the show: ”Doesn't that chair look more comfortable to sit on than the expensive suede couch - ‘an exact replica of the one Coco Chanel had in her Paris atelier’? This is a metaphor for how family relationships are battered, worn and cosy rather than beautifully best-china pristine, and it's a damn sight more subtle than Ross getting a monkey as a baby-substitute.”

• ‘See It Like Jones Would’ - ”A series of short essays that discuss select anecdotes and insights from the life of R. V. Jones, the mastermind of British scientific intelligence during World War II. Dr. Jones’ exploits remain some of the best examples of artful, competitive thinking available to modern analysts, decision makers, and red teamers." This will give a taste of Jones’ ingenious and devious ways of thinking to those of you unfortunate enough to have missed the 1970s documentary series Most Secret War, based on his book of the same name (which is highly recommended and can be found quite cheap from secondhand booksellers)

• The Natural Alternative? Part 1 - The Ketogenic Diet, Part 2 - Revenge of the Chef, Part 3 - The Bulltulip Menace Awakens - Anthony Warner is a chef who was formerly a scientist, and he gets annoyed by pseudo-science about nutrition: ”There seems to be a number of highly dangerous individuals out there, exploiting vulnerable people for commercial gain. Exposing this sort of thing is exactly what we do, and I am reliably informed that these posts will make a small number of these charlatans extremely unhappy."

• 12 Bizarre Toys That Wouldn’t Be Made Today - "Who didn't love playing with toys when they were kids? We'll tell you who: joyless idiots who'd walk around with their noses in the air going "God, you're so immature because you play with toys". What's the alternative, sad-face - spending the rest of your life filling out life insurance applications, and talking about curtains and gym memberships, and never again playing? Pffft! We know what we'd rather do. Unfortunately, not everything that was once considered appropriate for children is still suitable in this era of political correctness and health & safety."

• Why I built the DickPicLocator™ - "On August 8 I launched dickpiclocator.com, a service that invites you to upload an unsolicited dick pic and find out the exact location where the picture was taken. As I start writing this, 31 hours later, 932 images have been uploaded — an average of 30 pics per hour." Per Axbom on the various ethical issues involved.

• An arcane American law protected by powerful interests is causing insane traffic jams - Erik Olsen explains why Americans move so much freight with trucks: ”In the US, a measly 2% of domestic freight distributed among the lower forty-eight states travels by water, even though half the population lives near the coast. One big reason why is an obscure law, enacted right after World War 1, called the Jones Act, which preserves a monopoly for US-built, owned and operated ships to transport goods between US ports."

• Sea Traders Are Revisiting WWII-era Navigation Tools Amid Fears About Cyber Attacks - Still all at sea: what happens if systems such as GPS are subverted? ”About 90% of world trade is transported by sea and the stakes are high in increasingly crowded shipping lanes. Unlike aircraft, ships lack a back-up navigation system and if their GPS ceases to function, they risk running aground or colliding with other vessels.”

• MakeGirls.moe - This site uses AI to generate anime girls. From the technical report describing the project: ”Automatic generation of facial images has been well studied after the Generative Adversarial Network(GAN) came out. There exists some attempts applying the GAN model to the problem of generating facial images of anime characters, but none of the existing work gives a promising result. In this work, we explore the training of GAN models specialized on an anime facial image dataset.” When this link was retweeted by @SwiftOnSecurity a few hours ago, responses included “has science gone too far” and “computers were a mistake”

• How They Nearly Destroyed Covent Garden - ”In the sixties and seventies Covent Garden, as a place to live and work, was still a very run-down and shabby part of the West End… [the Greater London Development Plan] proposed, astonishingly, but as was often the wont in those days, that over two-thirds of the historic Covent Garden area should be razed to the ground.” Phase Two would have included demolishing The Harp

Happy invoicing!

The "See it like Jones" website has managed to occupy most of my early lunch! Nice one!

Comment

DickPicLocator gives the answer as Bagpuss towers.

Comment

Regarding Covent Garden the plans for Edinburgh were equally insane

Lost Edinburgh: the city centre motorway plan - The Scotsman
        merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
          Regarding Covent Garden the plans for Edinburgh were equally insane

Lost Edinburgh: the city centre motorway plan - The Scotsman
          Same for Liverpool: Central Liverpool motorways | CBRD

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
            There is a similar one for LOndon? The plan for 4 ring roads?

I can't see it at clientco - CBRD seems to be blocked. Are roads p0rn now?

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
              There is a similar one for LOndon? The plan for 4 ring roads?

I can't see it at clientco - CBRD seems to be blocked. Are roads p0rn now?
              I've seen web filters do some weird stuff, but blocking a site that's almost entirely about motorway junctions?

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
                I've seen web filters do some weird stuff, but blocking a site that's almost entirely about motorway junctions?
                On a side note, the new song out "Feels" (Calvin Harris, Katy Perry and Pharrell Williams) beeps out the "pills" part from the "I know you ain't afraid to pop pills". On the radio version. . I can't understand why that is so bad? Another Katy Perry song had "sex on the beach" and Little mix had "I hope shes getting better sex".

Another song recently had "putting that turd upon my name" which was fine. I can understand "b1tch" being bleeped out and "go f**king crazy".

Who decides this stuff?

And of course, American films are allowed any amount of violence but no sex. Probable explains why Americans prefer War over LOve....

Comment

Ah, Frasier. And even more so Cheers. I was watching it on Netflix but they took it away
                  Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                  I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                  Originally posted by vetran
                  Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                    Ah, Frasier. And even more so Cheers. I was watching it on Netflix but they took it away
                    I've got them both on these shiny disc things

Comment

Working...
                    X