+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Posts 11 to 17 of 17
  1. #11

    Respect my authoritah!

    NotAllThere - scorchio!

    NotAllThere's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Far away from HMRC
    Posts
    17,062
    Thanks (Given)
    185
    Thanks (Received)
    693
    Likes (Given)
    1137
    Likes (Received)
    2502

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tiggat View Post
    Right because if you wanted to line your pockets you'd go into academia or charity work ? Get real.
    Not quite sure why you quoted me there. Greenpeace, Friends of the Earth etc. are charities who love global warming, because it furthers their agenda - not because it makes them rich.

    Governments like global warming, because it allows new taxes.

    Science has its own fads. If what you're studying isn't mainstream, then you'll find it more difficult to get funding. Especially if what you're studying will negate the research of a large number of scientists.

    The problem with man-made global warming science is not that it is in any way bad science, it is simply that it has become highly politicised, and (by the likes of Greenpeace) propagandised.

    The fact that something is a charity does not mean that its goals and aims are for the benefit of humanity as a whole.
    You won. Get over it.

    --drunk on abuse of power--

  2. #12

    Fingers like lightning

    SuperZ is too good to be a permie


    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    English Riveria
    Posts
    927
    Thanks (Given)
    0
    Thanks (Received)
    4
    Likes (Given)
    1
    Likes (Received)
    21

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NotAllThere View Post
    Not quite sure why you quoted me there. Greenpeace, Friends of the Earth etc. are charities who love global warming, because it furthers their agenda - not because it makes them rich.

    Governments like global warming, because it allows new taxes.

    Science has its own fads. If what you're studying isn't mainstream, then you'll find it more difficult to get funding. Especially if what you're studying will negate the research of a large number of scientists.

    The problem with man-made global warming science is not that it is in any way bad science, it is simply that it has become highly politicised, and (by the likes of Greenpeace) propagandised.

    The fact that something is a charity does not mean that its goals and aims are for the benefit of humanity as a whole.
    Given how opinion of experts seems to change daily on things, such as whether something is good for you or not, I just don't know if they can predict the future on the scale of the climate.
    Having said that, to me it's obvious that in a world with growing population and related pollution, something will probably give eventually (one or more of disease, food shortages, the air killing us, global warming, our own stupidity -war).

  3. #13

    More fingers than teeth

    OwlHoot - scorchio!

    OwlHoot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    13,441
    Thanks (Given)
    348
    Thanks (Received)
    266
    Likes (Given)
    3370
    Likes (Received)
    1127

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NotAllThere View Post
    I'm pretty sure there is climate change, and I can agree that it might be exacerbate by human activity. I'm 100% certain that various groups - governments, Greenpeace etc. - are using climate change to further their own agendas. I'm a 100% certain that a significant proportion of climate change deniers are as thick as Brexiters.
    Agree 98% with that (The 2% is the "as Brexiters" crack obviously, as I am one!)

    Actually I only agree 96%, with the another missing 2% being where you say "a significant proportion of" instead of, as it should be, "all"
    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

  4. #14

    Super poster

    pjclarke has more data than eek


    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    2,718
    Thanks (Given)
    3
    Thanks (Received)
    38
    Likes (Given)
    68
    Likes (Received)
    156

    Default

    Nigel Lawson admits claim that global temperatures have fallen was false

    Global Warming Policy Foundation concedes that the Tory peer's supposedly official figures were wrong and produced by a right-wing think tank
    Experts correct, Lawson wrong.

    Good of him to fess up, the usual drill is to wait then restate the false claim at a higher volume....

    http://www.independent.co.uk/environ...-a7894686.html
    The Pygmy Shrew of Wall St.

  5. #15

    Still gathering requirements...

    tiggat is a permanent contractor


    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    62
    Thanks (Given)
    3
    Thanks (Received)
    7
    Likes (Given)
    3
    Likes (Received)
    11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NotAllThere View Post
    Not quite sure why you quoted me there. Greenpeace, Friends of the Earth etc. are charities who love global warming, because it furthers their agenda - not because it makes them rich.

    Governments like global warming, because it allows new taxes.

    Science has its own fads. If what you're studying isn't mainstream, then you'll find it more difficult to get funding. Especially if what you're studying will negate the research of a large number of scientists.

    The problem with man-made global warming science is not that it is in any way bad science, it is simply that it has become highly politicised, and (by the likes of Greenpeace) propagandised.

    The fact that something is a charity does not mean that its goals and aims are for the benefit of humanity as a whole.
    I suppose you think administering science in NHS hospitals is "highly politicised" and a fad too?

    I also think you don't know how tenure works.

  6. #16

    Still gathering requirements...

    tiggat is a permanent contractor


    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    62
    Thanks (Given)
    3
    Thanks (Received)
    7
    Likes (Given)
    3
    Likes (Received)
    11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by glebe digital View Post
    Well TIL the average pay of a university professor in the UK is about 76K, not bad considering you'll never lose you job unless you go 'off message' or fondle some bright young thing.

    "Twelve of the top 100 charities paid their highest earners more than 300,000 and 32 more than 200,000."
    Charity pay study: Who are the highest earners? | Third Sector
    How much do you think those people would be earning with similar year's experience if they had gone into banking?

  7. #17

    Still gathering requirements...

    glebe digital is too good to be a permie


    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    back of beyond
    Posts
    58
    Thanks (Given)
    0
    Thanks (Received)
    6
    Likes (Given)
    17
    Likes (Received)
    16

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tiggat View Post
    How much do you think those people would be earning with similar year's experience if they had gone into banking?
    Pure sophistry! Forgive me but you seem to assume that all humans get the same lucky breaks and have an inbuilt aptitude for fiddling a LIBOR rate; they don't. If we all 'could be anything we wanted' we'd all be doing precisely that.

    And anyway, many of your 'ideal bankers' would've been laid-off post Lehman.......personally I'd take a safe chair at a crumbling Uni any day.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.