I live on CUK

SueEllen is a fount of knowledge

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Slaughter Cam

Soon you can watch how your dinner was killed -

All slaughterhouses in England will be fitted with compulsory CCTV under plans to be unveiled on Friday by environment secretary Michael Gove, as part of a series of measures to bolster welfare standards and enforce laws against animal cruelty.

The proposals – set out in a consultation paper – will deliver the Tories’ manifesto pledge for CCTV to be required in every slaughterhouse in England in all areas where live animals are present (where unloaded, stunned and killed) with unrestricted access to footage for official vets.
    linky
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Suffers Fools...Badly!

shaunbhoy is always on top

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Well I hope they are going to print copious warnings and helpline details so that the younger generation don't end up feeling too "disturbed" by it all, as they munch their Big Macs.

“Silence is Golden. Unless you have kids. Then silence is just plain suspicious"

I live on CUK

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by shaunbhoy View Post
    Well I hope they are going to print copious warnings and helpline details so that the younger generation don't end up feeling too "disturbed" by it all, as they munch their Big Macs.

The militant vegans will be happy as more will join their group.

Though the NHS won't be happy having loads of women with iron deficiencies and loads of people with vitamin B12 deficiency.

sal

Contractor Among Contractors

sal 's job has never been outsourced

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I bet it will work like the police body cams - always "faulty" in a crucial moment...

Ddraig Goch

psychocandy is NOT a disguised employee

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

"And that flesh that fry is murder, murder, murder"
    Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Fingers like lightning

Hobosapien 's job has never been outsourced

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by SueEllen View Post
    The militant vegans will be happy as more will join their group.

Though the NHS won't be happy having loads of women with iron deficiencies and loads of people with vitamin B12 deficiency.

It is a moral dilemma that many in a civilised populace harbour. I know I couldn't kill any animal while I had a choice, and not sure how far down the road to starvation I'd get before that was overridden.

So I do wonder the mental state of people that do this task on our (the non-vegies) behalf. Somehow different like those kids we all knew that had no issue with torturing insects or small animals.

Surely they can't be far off having synthesised alternatives for the vitamin issue and for meat replacement itself where it's as good as the real thing. Sooner the better, and I'm not totally ignoring Quorn and the like, just that it's not good enough yet.
    Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

TripleIronDad

BrilloPad is always on top

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Mrs BP recently saw that animal activists were protesting against a restaurant serving UK veal. Which is one of the most humane kinds of meat - unlike the continental veal(which is illegal in the UK). She pointed this out to them on facebook - and it return was called(amongst other things) a c**t and "I hope your children die".

The same activists, when policed by police horses, throw spikes under their hooves.

Bacon sandwich anyone?
    Katy Perry - don't be afraid to catch feels. Taylor Swift - feels $1 a go.

Dirty spekulant

Jog On 's job has never been outsourced

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Hobosapien View Post
    It is a moral dilemma that many in a civilised populace harbour. I know I couldn't kill any animal while I had a choice, and not sure how far down the road to starvation I'd get before that was overridden.

So I do wonder the mental state of people that do this task on our (the non-vegies) behalf. Somehow different like those kids we all knew that had no issue with torturing insects or small animals.

Surely they can't be far off having synthesised alternatives for the vitamin issue and for meat replacement itself where it's as good as the real thing. Sooner the better, and I'm not totally ignoring Quorn and the like, just that it's not good enough yet.
    I think this is the point of the cameras - there are people working in these places who enjoy their jobs a bit too much and never grew out of pulling the wings off of insects.

I'm sure many of us wouldn't be comfortable killing animals for food - especially if you've reared them and formed a bond with them. I'm sure plenty will respond saying they would but by and large most of the population wouldn't these days - especially those with pets who call themselves 'animal lovers'.

Synthetic meat is already a thing, if it takes off remains to be seen.
    Useful Idiot

I live on CUK

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Hobosapien View Post

The people who work in slaughter houses tend to be ex-prisoners as it's the only job they can get. You have to remember after a few prison sentences your mentality will be different.

In addition until recently most of the world didn't live in cities so while they were civilised a they weren't urbanised. As they were much closer to nature killing animals particularly smaller ones like chickens and goats for your own and family's consumption wasn't an issue for people.

Fingers like lightning

Hobosapien 's job has never been outsourced

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Some good points.

Those raised where it's natural (on farms and the like) will obviously have a different outlook than those who have been shielded from this side of food production.
    Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast