• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Slaughter Cam

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Slaughter Cam

Soon you can watch how your dinner was killed -

All slaughterhouses in England will be fitted with compulsory CCTV under plans to be unveiled on Friday by environment secretary Michael Gove, as part of a series of measures to bolster welfare standards and enforce laws against animal cruelty.

The proposals – set out in a consultation paper – will deliver the Tories’ manifesto pledge for CCTV to be required in every slaughterhouse in England in all areas where live animals are present (where unloaded, stunned and killed) with unrestricted access to footage for official vets.
    linky
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Well I hope they are going to print copious warnings and helpline details so that the younger generation don't end up feeling too "disturbed" by it all, as they munch their Big Macs.

“The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
      Well I hope they are going to print copious warnings and helpline details so that the younger generation don't end up feeling too "disturbed" by it all, as they munch their Big Macs.

The militant vegans will be happy as more will join their group.

Though the NHS won't be happy having loads of women with iron deficiencies and loads of people with vitamin B12 deficiency.

Comment

I bet it will work like the police body cams - always "faulty" in a crucial moment...

Comment

"And that flesh that fry is murder, murder, murder"
          Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
            The militant vegans will be happy as more will join their group.

Though the NHS won't be happy having loads of women with iron deficiencies and loads of people with vitamin B12 deficiency.

It is a moral dilemma that many in a civilised populace harbour. I know I couldn't kill any animal while I had a choice, and not sure how far down the road to starvation I'd get before that was overridden.

So I do wonder the mental state of people that do this task on our (the non-vegies) behalf. Somehow different like those kids we all knew that had no issue with torturing insects or small animals.

Surely they can't be far off having synthesised alternatives for the vitamin issue and for meat replacement itself where it's as good as the real thing. Sooner the better, and I'm not totally ignoring Quorn and the like, just that it's not good enough yet.
            Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

Mrs BP recently saw that animal activists were protesting against a restaurant serving UK veal. Which is one of the most humane kinds of meat - unlike the continental veal(which is illegal in the UK). She pointed this out to them on facebook - and it return was called(amongst other things) a c**t and "I hope your children die".

The same activists, when policed by police horses, throw spikes under their hooves.

Bacon sandwich anyone?

Comment

Originally posted by Hobosapien View Post
                It is a moral dilemma that many in a civilised populace harbour. I know I couldn't kill any animal while I had a choice, and not sure how far down the road to starvation I'd get before that was overridden.

So I do wonder the mental state of people that do this task on our (the non-vegies) behalf. Somehow different like those kids we all knew that had no issue with torturing insects or small animals.

Surely they can't be far off having synthesised alternatives for the vitamin issue and for meat replacement itself where it's as good as the real thing. Sooner the better, and I'm not totally ignoring Quorn and the like, just that it's not good enough yet.
                I think this is the point of the cameras - there are people working in these places who enjoy their jobs a bit too much and never grew out of pulling the wings off of insects.

I'm sure many of us wouldn't be comfortable killing animals for food - especially if you've reared them and formed a bond with them. I'm sure plenty will respond saying they would but by and large most of the population wouldn't these days - especially those with pets who call themselves 'animal lovers'.

Synthetic meat is already a thing, if it takes off remains to be seen.
                "Is someone you don't like allowed to say something you don't like? If that is the case then we have free speech."- Elon Musk

Comment

Originally posted by Hobosapien View Post

The people who work in slaughter houses tend to be ex-prisoners as it's the only job they can get. You have to remember after a few prison sentences your mentality will be different.

In addition until recently most of the world didn't live in cities so while they were civilised a they weren't urbanised. As they were much closer to nature killing animals particularly smaller ones like chickens and goats for your own and family's consumption wasn't an issue for people.

Comment

Some good points.

Those raised where it's natural (on farms and the like) will obviously have a different outlook than those who have been shielded from this side of food production.
                    Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

Working...
                    X