• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

DaveB is obviously disturbed.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    https://tfl.gov.uk/travel-informatio...on-this-page-4

Some good points, though alot of nonsense too: -

Stay central on narrow roads. Try to ride away from the gutter. If the road is too narrow for vehicles to pass you safely, it might be safer to ride towards the middle of the lane to prevent dangerous overtaking by other vehicles.
    If the road is two way and narrow, DO NOT STAY CENTRAL, as that means cyclists coming the other way have to swerve to get out of your way, oh yeah and then when you swear at cars coming towards you because they pass close by - all because you've chosen to stay "central"
    ...or you choose to ride 2 or 3 abreast, putting one of you more than half way across the road. People coming towards you have nowhere to go.
    ...and if you are going to overtake another cyclist, look behind you and signal before pulling out, just in case someone else is already overtaking you.
    ...and if you have flashing front or rear lights, make sure they are not blinding other road users, particularly in the countryside.

Common courtesy, showing respect for others, taking responsibility, these things all help.
    …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
      If the road is two way and narrow, DO NOT STAY CENTRAL, as that means cyclists coming the other way have to swerve to get out of your way, oh yeah and then when you swear at cars coming towards you because they pass close by - all because you've chosen to stay "central"
      ...or you choose to ride 2 or 3 abreast, putting one of you more than half way across the road. People coming towards you have nowhere to go.
      ...and if you are going to overtake another cyclist, look behind you and signal before pulling out, just in case someone else is already overtaking you.
      ...and if you have flashing front or rear lights, make sure they are not blinding other road users, particularly in the countryside.
      I am forced to agree with that lot. HELP! I agree with a mod!

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
      Common courtesy, showing respect for others, taking responsibility, these things all help.
      Phew! Normality is restored. I agree with your words, but not your actions....

Comment

So here's one for the cyclists amongst you.

Sat in traffic this morning and some cyclist road warrior went roaring down the inside doing 15-20 miles an hour missing cars by inches.

But if I go past a cyclist with a 15-20 mile an hour difference only give them 'inches' of space - everyone loses their minds.

Can anyone explain?

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
          Nope you wear skinny or straight jeans now that don't need tucking in.

It's amusing looking at the bikes people have though. Kids on cheap road bikes go much faster than MAMILs on their £2K+ ones.
          Best one I saw was an older guy on a scooter in full lycra (looked more like a wetsuit), helmet on this scooter thing pushing himself along with big elaborate strides with one leg. Was in the middle of the road holding up all the traffic and flew into a massive rage when I overtook him. I think he was quite 'important'...
          "Is someone you don't like allowed to say something you don't like? If that is the case then we have free speech."- Elon Musk

Comment

https://tfl.gov.uk/travel-informatio...on-this-page-4

Some good points, though alot of nonsense too: -

Stay central on narrow roads. Try to ride away from the gutter. If the road is too narrow for vehicles to pass you safely, it might be safer to ride towards the middle of the lane to prevent dangerous overtaking by other vehicles. That just p1sses off drivers.
            Actually the trick is to move like a car. So if you think you can move over so they can safely pass you do so.

Stay away from parked cars. Ideally, keep a door's width away in case the door opens suddenly. Also, try to ride in a straight line past parked cars rather than dodging between them. Again it just p1sses off drivers.
            I do. I don't care if it pisses of other drivers I'm not being doored.

I actually don't get pissed off by cyclists doing so when I'm driving due to the fact some idiots open their doors when you are passing.

Stay back from HGVs. Lorries and other large vehicles might not be able to see you clearly, so stay well back behind them. Sometimes true. At other times, it is best to push through aggressively.
            Yep

Make eye contact. Try to make eye contact with drivers so you're sure that they have seen you. No driver will make eye contact with you! I tried it this morning on my morning commute.
            They make eye contact if you are wearing a skirt, wear pink or look sufficiently female. Male drivers even smile at you...

I suggest you get a long haired blonde wig to wear under your cycling helmet and wear a looser pink top. Some guy did this as research and found he was given more space by vehicles.
            Last edited by SueEllen; 11 August 2017, 09:50.
            "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post
              So here's one for the cyclists amongst you.

Sat in traffic this morning and some cyclist road warrior went roaring down the inside doing 15-20 miles an hour missing cars by inches.

But if I go past a cyclist with a 15-20 mile an hour difference only give them 'inches' of space - everyone loses their minds.

Can anyone explain?
              Yep.

If the road warrior hits your car it will scratch the car not you personally.

If you hit the road warrior you will likely injure him.

Plus depending where you are in the country the road warrior could be a plain clothes police officer doing the close pass thing or similar a lot of police forces have decided to do, so you would either be given "advice" on your driving or get points and a fine.

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                Yep.

If the road warrior hits your car it will scratch the car not you personally.

If you hit the road warrior you will likely injure him.

Plus depending where you are in the country the road warrior could be a plain clothes police officer doing the close pass thing or similar a lot of police forces have decided to do, so you would either be given "advice" on your driving or get points and a fine.
                But the point is the passing with inches to spare with a 15-20 miles an hour speed difference should work both ways - either you can do it or you can't.

Comment

But the point is the passing with inches to spare with a 15-20 miles an hour speed difference should work both ways - either you can do it or you can't.
                  Doesn't work like that I'm afraid.

In the worse case:
                  1. The road warrior can scratch your car as they aren't injuring a person.

2. You will either end up in an accident situation injuring a person, or with points and a fine from the police.

Comment

its physics innit.

100KG of lycra & bike striking a glancing blow to a 2 ton car will probably result in scratches as the bike will decelerate quickly.

a 2 ton car hitting a 100KG of lycra & bike will probably result in death that is a lot of energy to dissipate.
                    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

I'm just amazed how much these dudes are prepared to spend! Rolled up to one guy last week on a Giant TCR advance, deep rim carbon wheels, nice rig, but the actual benefit over a well maintained 'budget' bike is so small it seems insane to me. He was also in full Sunweb kit, but the gut gave the game away somewhat.

Comment

Working...
                      X