• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

He's Arrested

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    It's now a high profile case so the police are going for broke to get a result.
    That is unacceptable, they need to behave themselves. I understand they need a result but they have to do it properly.

As I said I imagine (unless this bloke has some serious skeletons) that the Met will be paying compensation.
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
      That is unacceptable, they need to behave themselves. I understand they need a result but they have to do it properly.

As I said I imagine (unless this bloke has some serious skeletons) that the Met will be paying compensation.
      No they won't.

If you get arrested (or taken for questioning) and are found to be innocent they give you SFA.

They have also refused to apologise. If they apologise to him they would have to apologise to people the CPS puts on remand and then are found to be not guilty.

The only organisations that can be sued are media outlets e.g. newspapers if they started writing horrible tulip - none have this time .
      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

No they won't.

If you get arrested (or taken for questioning) and are found to be innocent they give you SFA.

They have also refused to apologise. If they apologise to him they would have to apologise to people the CPS puts on remand and then are found to be not guilty.

The only organisations that can be sued are media outlets e.g. newspapers if they started writing horrible tulip - none have this time .
        https://www.hudgellsolicitors.co.uk/...ongful-arrest/

What must be proven to win a case of unlawful arrest under UK law?

When considering their verdict in unlawful arrest UK law cases, a court must decide whether the police officer involved had “good reason” to think what they did at the time the decision was made.

When the arrest was carried out, the court must decide whether:

The police officer thought it was necessary and that there were no other suitable options at that moment
        Because of what they knew at the time, it was reasonable for them to think that the arrest needed to be made.
        https://www.donoghue-solicitors.co.u.../police-abuse/

In his position I would be wanting some of the below. I imagine the none financial ones.

What is Police Abuse Compensation?

In civil actions against the police, financial compensation (also known as “damages”) is payable to successful claimants.

Depending on the circumstances, this police abuse compensation can be paid along with other remedies, including:

a finding of liability against the police
        an apology
        an agreement to make lessons are learned
        destruction of DNA records
        removal of details from the police national computer
        publicity, to show people that you were the victim of police abuse.

Comment

...You aren't allowed to stop & search but you are allowed to go all 'Sweeny' on bankers. Get yer trousers on yer nicked...
          Seems fair.
          Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

https://www.hudgellsolicitors.co.uk/...ongful-arrest/

https://www.donoghue-solicitors.co.u.../police-abuse/

In his position I would be wanting some of the below. I imagine the none financial ones.
            You have to be rich to afford to, or arrested so many times it's ridiculous e.g. Stephen Lawrence's friend that you get support to sue the Met.

They fight all cases until it's clear they will lose them before paying out.

Comment

Comment

You have to be rich to afford to, or arrested so many times it's ridiculous e.g. Stephen Lawrence's friend that you get support to sue the Met.

They fight all cases until it's clear they will lose them before paying out.
                he is rich.

Comment

Originally posted by Bee View Post
                  Is that a statement of Intent?

Don't do it, just join mumsnet!

Comment

Re "no other suitable options at that moment"

It is hard to think there was any alternative to arrest at the time, given the flight risk and the seriousness of the charge.

What would be better would be if arrested, suspects could be given legal anonymity on arrest, with their identity only being revealed if charged and the case come to court. That way the public will continue to treat them as innocent until they have been proved or admit guilt.

Comment

Originally posted by GJABS View Post
                      Re "no other suitable options at that moment"

It is hard to think there was any alternative to arrest at the time, given the flight risk and the seriousness of the charge.

What would be better would be if arrested, suspects could be given legal anonymity on arrest, with their identity only being revealed if charged and the case come to court. That way the public will continue to treat them as innocent until they have been proved or admit guilt.
                      The reason they aren't given anonymity is in case they have done it before and their other victims haven't come forward.

(Or more likely a different police force/unit/officer ignored they were victims.)

Comment

Working...
                      X