• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How to commit career suicide - moan about diversity

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    You seem to have a bee in your bonnet.

I wonder what person in a minority group you think stopped you getting a lucrative contract when in reality the reason you didn't get it is because the hiring managers worked out they had a more pleasant personality than you.
    While Wotnxt comes across as conspiracy theorist, I have had female team mates complain to me about the amount of pressure they've had put on then by HR during university interviews to allow mediocre female interviewees progress to the second round.

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
      GCSE Computer Science means SFA.
      Does when it leads towards b-tec or a-level in the same subject. With a bit of effort a kid can knock up a good enough code to sell. Maths just seems over kill for most IT roles

It's good you point to the very thing I said at the start which is school turns girls off the subject of IT. so why are we supposed to be amazed that they don't take the subject further in the work place?

Comment

Originally posted by bobspud View Post
        Does when it leads towards b-tec or a-level in the same subject. With a bit of effort a kid can knock up a good enough code to sell. Maths just seems over kill for most IT roles
        Since most young people seem to go to university I may as well point out you don't need A level Computer Science to do a Computer Science degree. The unis I went to require Maths A level and one/two other sciences. Out of the other sciences one can be Computer Science but you can do physics, chemistry, biology or combined science (whatever the feck that is) instead. Yes it's overkill for most IT jobs but we are talking about academic qualifications.

Even if the kid doesn't choose the direct route another STEM degree will easily allow them to work in, or do a postgraduate degree Computer Science/Software Engineering or equivalent subject. And unfortunately to do most STEM degrees you need a Maths A level.

Originally posted by bobspud View Post
        It's good you point to the very thing I said at the start which is school turns girls off the subject of IT. so why are we supposed to be amazed that they don't take the subject further in the work place?
        If you want your daughter to consider IT or any other STEM career then you as her dad and then the rest of the family are the main influencers. So your time with her at the computer and talking about your job isn't wasted

Most teachers haven't done any other jobs apart from teaching which was funnily enough pointed out to me by a teacher, so how do they know what jobs entail? They don't so make tulip up and some of that tulip unfortunately includes sexist, classist and racist ideas.

The best thing your kids can do is actually ask other adults what they actually do in their jobs and talk to older teenagers/20 something's about their degree choices. Of course to do the latter you need to know a good number of people.
        "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by jds 1981 View Post
          While Wotnxt comes across as conspiracy theorist, I have had female team mates complain to me about the amount of pressure they've had put on then by HR during university interviews to allow mediocre female interviewees progress to the second round.
          I've had that pressure over ethnic background as well. I know others who had that pressure over social class.

If HR choose the selection criteria then make you interview candidates that don't fit it, then they shouldn't be surprised if you firmly tell them "No".

Telling you to write and rewrite a report on why each candidate wasn't selected doesn't work to change your mind either.

Comment

Hello Zeitghost

Comment

Just heard this:

linky

Taking maths at A-level is more helpful for landing a place at a Russell Group university than studying at a grammar or private school, research from University College London’s Institute of Education suggests.

A new report on the relationship between a student’s A-level subject choices and the university they attend found that sitting maths was associated with attending a university with a score on average seven points higher in the The Times Good University Guide.

In comparison, attending a grammar or private school instead of a comprehensive was linked to an uptick of around four or five points, according to the research by Catherine Dilnot, senior lecturer at Oxford Brookes University and UCL Institute of Education.
              And this:

linky

Students choosing A-levels in career-specific subjects they intend to study at university are putting themselves at a disadvantage compared to peers who opt for more traditional courses, a new study suggests.

Whilst sixth formers planning on entering higher education often choose similar A-levels in a bid to bolster their university applications, they would be better off choosing core subjects such as maths, science and history.
              Alternative take:

linky

Students from poorer backgrounds may be held back by their A-level subject choices when applying for respected degree courses, such as law, at leading universities.

New research suggests that those taking vocational A-levels in law, accounting or business are less likely to attend elite universities than students who opt for traditional academic subjects such as sciences, mathematics, languages, history and geography.

Catherine Dilnot, at University College London’s Institute of Education, analysed the data on all 475,000 students in England who entered UK universities with three A-levels between 2010 and 2012. She found that those taking academic subjects tended to go to more high-status universities. In addition, some A-level choices seemed to disadvantage certain students. Those taking a law degree, for example, were more likely to be at universities that scored lower on league tables if they had studied A-level law rather than a subject such as maths or science.

Comment

Went to the toilets at Morrisons today. The ladies had a sign on the door warning about letting children go in unattended. The mens had no such sign.

Casual sexism?

Oh wait - only men can be sexist.

Comment

Its Endemic

Britain's most PC PC faces ridicule | Daily Mail Online

Britain's most PC PC faces ridicule for warning High Street shops that 'feminine care' signs on women's sanitary products breach gender equality rules
                  Sgt Peter Allan branded 'meddlesome' for saying store signs are discriminatory
                  He tweeted Sainsbury's a pictured of 'feminine care' shelves in one of its stores
                  He said said: 'It's an issue of gender identity. Men may perhaps use the products'
                  Sergeant also tweeted Tesco over their signage above feminine sanitary items
                  But the PC sergeant was blasted for being over-officious and meddlesome

Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                    Went to the toilets at Morrisons today. The ladies had a sign on the door warning about letting children go in unattended. The mens had no such sign.

Casual sexism?

Oh wait - only men can be sexist.
                    How do you know a woman put up that sign?

Who ever did it doesn't realise that men do go to the supermarket with young children on their own, and little boys once they can read and be trusted use the men's toilets.
                    Last edited by SueEllen; 13 August 2017, 13:23.

Comment

Men may perhaps use the products

Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Working...
                      X