• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How to commit career suicide - moan about diversity

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by WotNxt View Post
    What no-one needs is to be shamed or co-erced into particular types of work just to satisfy equality-of-outcome marxist quotas.
    Yeah because that is really happening. FFS
    Hard Brexit now!
    #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
      Yeah because that is really happening. FFS
      Think of all those poor white male snowflakes coerced into working for Google.

Comment

Poor choice of psychology arguments aside. The most worrying thing about the whole inclusion debacle is that companies like google are going out of their way to pick sub optimal candidates vs the ones with the highest marks based on colour and genitalia.

Now let's think this through for a minute...

If a company said you are the best person for the job apart from your religion or because you are Asian there would be a mushroom cloud from all the concerned groups wanting to slay the nasty company for their behaviour. But in choosing workers to fit a dumb profile that's a exactly what they are doing.

All of a sudden there will be perfectly good white or Asian men that have studied for years and worked hard for the grades that will be turned down for jobs because they don't fit an HR profile. Let's not get into ageism that makes anyone over 50 virtually unemployed...

The fact that the the workforce is unbalanced has nothing to do with women missing out because evil men only want other blokes in the office. It's because the women are not taking the subject and sticking the course in enough numbers or wanting to do the job...

That's the thing that needs addressing: what are STEM subjects doing wrong that is making it unattractive for women and non Asian ethnic minority members to stay in IT vs doing something else?

Anyone in that wants to see how affirmative action worked out needs a good look at Africa especially Jacob Zuma...
        Last edited by bobspud; 12 August 2017, 01:31.

Comment

Quite. It should be about enforcing equal OPPORTUNITIES, not the same thing as enforcing representative proportion in every area of the economy.
          bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
          John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Spend a lot of time in manufacturing biased businesses and supply chains........

Virtually every HR office is full of female rather than balanced staff. Matters not if it is a SME or Global mega giant. Who fundamentally drives diversity - HR?

On a similar note- virtually every senior team that I experience has an absence of non-white-males.

Ironically when I see IT or Finance teams, notice more non-white people.

Fundamentally, whilst I love the idea of diversity, not at the expense of quota filling whereby the best candidate loses out.

Comment

Originally posted by bobspud View Post
              Poor choice of psychology arguments aside. The most worrying thing about the whole inclusion debacle is that companies like google are going out of their way to pick sub optimal candidates vs the ones with the highest marks based on colour and genitalia.
              You and others are presuming when companies choose candidates that fit a particular profile they are only choosing them on that one characteristic in my experience they are not.

Any company/organisation that does this finds that the person resigns or they have to sack them.

The problem is - and as a white male in a male dominated field you won't have noticed it - is that many companies recruit from a limited pool of candidates so end up recruiting in the image of who they have on their staff at the moment. Sometimes it isn't the company's managers fault but HR and agencies who decide that candidate of a particular age (you can be too young as well as too old), sex, gender and/or ethnic background won't fit so don't put them forward.

I've had discussions with people who have told their friends' and acquaintances to apply for a role at a company who would add to the company's diversity but HR/recruitment agency delibrately sits on their CV. Some then go around HR/recruitment agency to get that person an interview and if they do get the role they fit.
              "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                You and others are presuming when companies choose candidates that fit a particular profile they are only choosing them on that one characteristic in my experience they are not.

Any company/organisation that does this finds that the person resigns or they have to sack them.

The problem is - and as a white male in a male dominated field you won't have noticed it - is that many companies recruit from a limited pool of candidates so end up recruiting in the image of who they have on their staff at the moment. Sometimes it isn't the company's managers fault but HR and agencies who decide that candidate of a particular age (you can be too young as well as too old), sex, gender and/or ethnic background won't fit so don't put them forward.

I've had discussions with people who have told their friends' and acquaintances to apply for a role at a company who would add to the company's diversity but HR/recruitment agency delibrately sits on their CV. Some then go around HR/recruitment agency to get that person an interview and if they do get the role they fit.
                The recruiting from a small gene bank is even smaller than you would imagine. Let's take these all powerful white males for instance and then go and stand outside any of the big four consulting firms and see which socioeconomic background they come from.

It's not just non white males that are discriminated against its poor white and non white males. So when the happy clapping inclusion squad rocks up it actually actively pushes a whole raft of lower class individuals out to the frays.

So the problem is when you try and include someone you naturally exclude someone else. It's a bad policy and will always lead to problems further downstream.

We definitely need support groups but the inclusion for them should be anyone that wants to be helped. As soon as it's about race or gender it's stirring up a shed load of tomorrow problems.

And to show just how feeble this whole thing is my naturally talented IT literate daughter sabotaged her gcse computer science course because she wants no part of the industry.

How do you include for that?

Comment

How men's and women's brains are different | Stanford Medicine

Comment

You're really banging this drum, aren't you?

Boys’ dyslexia rate is perhaps 10 times that of girls, and they’re four or five times as likely to get a diagnosis of autism spectrum disorder.
                    Well, I'm beginning to notice...
                    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
                    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
                      You're really banging this drum, aren't you?

Well, I'm beginning to notice...
                      Considering the kinds of people who frequent this place there seems to be a really surprising lack of red pill knowledge.

Comment

Working...
                      X