• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How to commit career suicide - moan about diversity

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    What's your point?
    I'm pretty sure there must be some biological differences between men and women, but not enough to make a difference in this context.
    Thought my point was obvious - SueEllen said that this person called bull tulip on the 'manifesto' but to me it seems pretty much the opposite.

Indeed it appears pretty scathing academically towards Google. Lets go through it if we must.

Google's Vice President of Diversity, Integrity, & Governance, Danielle Brown, deemed the employee's claims "advanced incorrect assumptions about gender."
    Originally posted by David Schmitt
    In my view, claiming that sex differences exist in negative emotionality is not an "incorrect assumption about gender." It is an empirically well-supported claim (at least, based on the best psychological science we have so far).
    That's him calling bull tulip.

He then says that gender only accounts for 10% of emotional variation, so small, but not negligible
    the size of these negative emotion sex differences is not very large (typically, ranging between “small” to “moderate” in statistical effect size terminology; accounting for perhaps 10% of the variance1).
    Next he says that sex difference on occupational difference likely does play a part in gendered hiring by google
    Culturally universal sex differences in personal values and certain cognitive abilities are a bit larger in size (see here), and sex differences in occupational interests are quite large2. It seems likely these culturally universal and biologically-linked sex differences play some role in the gendered hiring patterns of Google employees.
    After this he says that although not his area of expertise, there may be socio-economic and cultural reasons that women don't participate in technology so he thinks it is reasonable to have various practices to encourage women into the workplace.

Finally he has another dig at google. Notice the juxtaposition of 'openly and 'open conversations' and 'science-based' and 'evidence'
    At the same time, should we be able to openly discuss and be informed by some of the real psychological sex differences that account for variation in men’s and women’s workplace performance, and might lead to less than 50% of technology employees being women? In the right context, I vote yes to that, too. Apparently at Google, internal discussion boards intended for open conversations about diversity and science-based thinking are not the right context for discussing evidence about psychological sex differences.
    This plays against the opening line of his second paragraph
    I think it’s really important to discuss this topic scientifically, keeping an open mind and using informed skepticism when evaluating claims about evidence.
    Last edited by jds 1981; 10 August 2017, 19:44.

Comment

Originally posted by jds 1981 View Post
      Thought my point was obvious - SueEllen said that this person called bull tulip on the 'manifesto' but to me it seems pretty much the opposite.

Indeed it appears pretty scathing academically towards Google. Lets go through it if we must.

That's him calling bull tulip.

He then says that gender only accounts for 10% of emotional variation, so small, but not negligible

Next he says that sex difference on occupational difference likely does play a part in gendered hiring by google

After this he says that although not his area of expertise, there may be socio-economic and cultural reasons that women don't participate in technology so he thinks it is reasonable to have various practices to encourage women into the workplace.

Finally he has another dig at google. Notice the juxtaposition of 'openly and 'open conversations' and 'science-based' and 'evidence'

This plays against the opening line of his second paragraph
      You seem quite exercised by this.
      Did some woman best you at work?
      Wouldn't surprise me, you don't seem to be very bright since you've latched on to one particular academic's ideas and treat them as gospel.
      You should read and digest the ideas of Kuhn and Popper on how science works.
      Hard Brexit now!
      #prayfornodeal

Comment

Wouldn't surprise me, you don't seem to be very bright since you've latched on to one particular academic's ideas and treat them as gospel.
        Meanie.

Comment

lolz. I've stayed out of this debate so far as it's something I'd prefer not to touch with a barge pole, only getting drawn in when one person claimed Mr Schmitt was saying pretty much the opposite to what he actually said, as I demonstrated.

Beyond that read into it whatever you want

Comment

Bit harsh.

Most UK people don't get to study arts, the natural sciences and social sciences. They just get stuck in a silo of one very narrow discipline of one of them.

Lucky the poster is young so had time to make that up at evening classes....
            "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

It seems someone else agrees with him.

http://www.thecollegefix.com/bulleti...le-memo-right/

Comment

Originally posted by jds 1981 View Post
                lolz. I've stayed out of this debate so far as it's something I'd prefer not to touch with a barge pole, only getting drawn in when one person claimed Mr Schmitt was saying pretty much the opposite to what he actually said, as I demonstrated.

Beyond that read into it whatever you want
                On here you can guarantee they will.

Especially if they are being proven wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by WotNxt View Post

It seems someone else agrees with him.

http://www.thecollegefix.com/bulleti...le-memo-right/
                  There are some that agree with him and some that disagree with him.

We had this discussion before and it was noted that non-European women have no issues in having tech careers. So the issue is far more complex than the bubble the author worked in.
                  "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

The scope of this issue is far bigger than the bubble he worked in at Google. It is affecting most of Western society in a very negative way for all people except those who profit from it.

Comment

Women have been in computing from the start. Ada Lovelace downwards.

Women continued to be part of computing - Grace Hopper onwards.

Women will continue to be part of computing as they aren't asking permission, they are just doing it.

They're even modding IT contractor forums.

That's it really.
                      "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
                      - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Working...
                      X