• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How to commit career suicide - moan about diversity

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

its alright

He found a like mind!

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/0...memo_employee/

In his latest attempt to further the global alliance of weapons-grade bellends*, noted troll Julian Assange has offered a job at WikiLeaks to the Google staffer apparently fired for writing a wobbly diversity manifesto.

Assange tweeted: "Censorship is for losers. @WikiLeaks is offering a job to fired Google engineer James Damore.

"Women & men deserve respect. That includes not firing them for politely expressing ideas but rather arguing back."
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

If you're at the top of your game, why would you have a rant about women and minorities? Only unfocused mediocrities would do that.
      FWIW I haven't worked with many women techies but all that I have worked with have been at least above average and a couple exceptional.
      On the other hand there have been many crap men.
      So it seems to me that coding is simply something than men self-select for, regardless of their ability, but given all the cultural and other barriers that are in place against women coming into the industry, those who do so have more passion and interest in the subject than the average man.
      Hard Brexit now!
      #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
        If you're at the top of your game, why would you have a rant about women and minorities? Only unfocused mediocrities would do that.
        FWIW I haven't worked with many women techies but all that I have worked with have been at least above average and a couple exceptional.
        On the other hand there have been many crap men.
        So it seems to me that coding is simply something than men self-select for, regardless of their ability, but given all the cultural and other barriers that are in place against women coming into the industry, those who do so have more passion and interest in the subject than the average man.
        Possibly true.. once upon a time that applied to men also.. before IT got popular (golden days )
        Do what thou wilt

Comment

He almost got the differences but he committed a terrible mistake for not saying that women are smarter than men.

Comment

It would be amusing if our alt-right friends deny that privately owned companies in the USA should have the right to fire workers for breaches of company policy, and that workers should have nanny state protection against this.

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
              One of the guys he mentions says he's talking tulip*- https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog...ex-differences

*My terminology for "my research doesn't back that up"
              Wait a minute. Where does this researcher disagree with the memo?

I think his only point of contention is whether various action to encourage women to join Google is worthwhile. Everything else he seems to be backing the guy up on..
              Last edited by jds 1981; 10 August 2017, 14:39. Reason: Correcting affirmative action point as it is actually more general, then correcting being to backing.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
                A man who avoids losing his freedom. By losing his freedom.....

Comment

Originally posted by jds 1981 View Post
                  Wait a minute. Where does this researcher disagree with the memo?

I think his only point of contention is whether various action to encourage women to join Google is worthwhile. Everything else he seems to be backing the guy up on..
                  Where he says "Still, it is not clear to me how such sex differences are relevant to the Google workplace ...Using someone’s biological sex to essentialize an entire group of people’s personality is like surgically operating with an axe. Not precise enough to do much good, probably will cause a lot of harm".
                  Hard Brexit now!
                  #prayfornodeal

Comment

It sounds like he was a fool for criticising Google per se, especially as they were his employer.

He'd have done better, and adequately made his point, by posting on his own blog a general critique of positive discrimination (assuming that was his point - I haven't read his long-winded article.)
                    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
                      Where he says "Still, it is not clear to me how such sex differences are relevant to the Google workplace ...Using someone’s biological sex to essentialize an entire group of people’s personality is like surgically operating with an axe. Not precise enough to do much good, probably will cause a lot of harm".
                      That isn't disagreement though? I guess it is the closest but you could find in the whole page of him backing up the guys claims

The full section is
                      In my view, claiming that sex differences exist in negative emotionality is not an "incorrect assumption about gender." It is an empirically well-supported claim (at least, based on the best psychological science we have so far).
                      So in agreement. The bit you quoted is where he then says that you cannot make a prediction on one person based on their gender from the 'average' which also agrees with the original memo?

Comment

Working...
                      X