vetran is always on top

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default its alright

He found a like mind!

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/0...memo_employee/

In his latest attempt to further the global alliance of weapons-grade bellends*, noted troll Julian Assange has offered a job at WikiLeaks to the Google staffer apparently fired for writing a wobbly diversity manifesto.

Assange tweeted: "Censorship is for losers. @WikiLeaks is offering a job to fired Google engineer James Damore.

"Women & men deserve respect. That includes not firing them for politely expressing ideas but rather arguing back."
    "If you didn't do anything that wasn't good for you it would be a very dull life. What are you gonna do? Everything that is pleasant in life is dangerous."

I want to see the hand of history on his collar.

Better than AtW

sasguru - scorchio!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

If you're at the top of your game, why would you have a rant about women and minorities? Only unfocused mediocrities would do that.
    FWIW I haven't worked with many women techies but all that I have worked with have been at least above average and a couple exceptional.
    On the other hand there have been many crap men.
    So it seems to me that coding is simply something than men self-select for, regardless of their ability, but given all the cultural and other barriers that are in place against women coming into the industry, those who do so have more passion and interest in the subject than the average man.
    "The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it, ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is."

Winston Churchill

Fingers like lightning

Dark Black 's job has never been outsourced

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by sasguru View Post
    If you're at the top of your game, why would you have a rant about women and minorities? Only unfocused mediocrities would do that.
    FWIW I haven't worked with many women techies but all that I have worked with have been at least above average and a couple exceptional.
    On the other hand there have been many crap men.
    So it seems to me that coding is simply something than men self-select for, regardless of their ability, but given all the cultural and other barriers that are in place against women coming into the industry, those who do so have more passion and interest in the subject than the average man.
    Possibly true.. once upon a time that applied to men also.. before IT got popular (golden days )
    Do what thou wilt

Bee

Super poster

Bee 's job has never been outsourced

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

He almost got the differences but he committed a terrible mistake for not saying that women are smarter than men.
    Don't argue with idiots. They'll drag you down to their level then beat you with experience.

Old Greg is my bitch's bitch

northernladyuk - scorchio!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

It would be amusing if our alt-right friends deny that privately owned companies in the USA should have the right to fire workers for breaches of company policy, and that workers should have nanny state protection against this.
    Where there's muck there's brass.

Still gathering requirements...

jds 1981 is good enough for Jehovah!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by SueEllen View Post
    One of the guys he mentions says he's talking tulip*- https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog...ex-differences

*My terminology for "my research doesn't back that up"
    Wait a minute. Where does this researcher disagree with the memo?

I think his only point of contention is whether various action to encourage women to join Google is worthwhile. Everything else he seems to be backing the guy up on..
    Last edited by jds 1981; 10th August 2017 at 14:39. Reason: Correcting affirmative action point as it is actually more general, then correcting being to backing.

TripleIronDad

BrilloPad is always on top

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by vetran View Post
    A man who avoids losing his freedom. By losing his freedom.....
    Katy Perry - don't be afraid to catch feels. Taylor Swift - feels $1 a go.

Better than AtW

sasguru - scorchio!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by jds 1981 View Post
    Wait a minute. Where does this researcher disagree with the memo?

I think his only point of contention is whether various action to encourage women to join Google is worthwhile. Everything else he seems to be backing the guy up on..
    Where he says "Still, it is not clear to me how such sex differences are relevant to the Google workplace ...Using someone’s biological sex to essentialize an entire group of people’s personality is like surgically operating with an axe. Not precise enough to do much good, probably will cause a lot of harm".
    "The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it, ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is."

Winston Churchill

More fingers than teeth

OwlHoot - scorchio!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

It sounds like he was a fool for criticising Google per se, especially as they were his employer.

He'd have done better, and adequately made his point, by posting on his own blog a general critique of positive discrimination (assuming that was his point - I haven't read his long-winded article.)
    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Still gathering requirements...

jds 1981 is good enough for Jehovah!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by sasguru View Post
    Where he says "Still, it is not clear to me how such sex differences are relevant to the Google workplace ...Using someone’s biological sex to essentialize an entire group of people’s personality is like surgically operating with an axe. Not precise enough to do much good, probably will cause a lot of harm".
    That isn't disagreement though? I guess it is the closest but you could find in the whole page of him backing up the guys claims

The full section is
    In my view, claiming that sex differences exist in negative emotionality is not an "incorrect assumption about gender." It is an empirically well-supported claim (at least, based on the best psychological science we have so far).
    So in agreement. The bit you quoted is where he then says that you cannot make a prediction on one person based on their gender from the 'average' which also agrees with the original memo?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 21 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 16 ... LastLast