• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Hoo hah at Wentworth Golf Club

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hoo hah at Wentworth Golf Club

2017-08-06 Wentworth clubbed: Stars lead mass walkout from legendary golf course as Chinese owners 'tear out its heart'

Didn't Goldfinger own a golf club? The irony is the new owner looks more like his sidekick Odd Job.

Actually, there's a serious point here about the extent of foreign purchasers of UK property, although I think this is now tailing off.
    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
    Actually, there's a serious point here about the extent of foreign purchasers of UK property, although I think this is now tailing off.
    Yes, because they've already bought it all.

Comment

Just wait until the new Chinese golf carts are introduced to the club....

Comment

Not feeling much sympathy. They had the means to prevent it. If they felt so strongly about the club - they could have easily clubbed together and outbid the Chinese.

Comment

Compulsorily purchase it all for £25, raise it to the ground, plough it up and build affordable housing. Done and dusted.

Comment

I have more than a passing interest in this story so allow me to have my tuppence ha'pworth.

This whole sorry issue is actually not news - it has been going on for a couple of years since a wholly undemocratic decision taken at board level accepted the Chinese proposals while completely overlooking the wishes of the membership who were very much in favour of a consortium headed up by Britain's leading matchplay golfer with the backing of Peter De Saveray - Paul Casey Golf.

Paul Casey Golf set out to secure the rights to host both the Volvo PGA Championship and the World Matchplay Championship (the former event I have attended every year since 1998). These prestige events, which are of paramount importance in maintaining the kudos of Wentworth Golf Course in the international golf scene, did not even enter into the Chinese proposal. Instead they have their sights set on closing the smaller Western course and erecting a hotel complex to house the many rich oriental businessmen they want to jet in from the far east and seem to enjoy wasting money on ridiculous fripperies such as a gold plated cleaning trough next to the 18th green.

You can see exactly why they're charging somewhere in the region of £150k pa for membership and why the members have all been left kicking the walls especially since they were more than 90% in favour of the Paul Casey Golf proposals. It's an absolute disgrace, this whole business.

Comment

Originally posted by Pip in a Poke View Post
              I have more than a passing interest in this story so allow me to have my tuppence ha'pworth.

This whole sorry issue is actually not news - it has been going on for a couple of years since a wholly undemocratic decision taken at board level accepted the Chinese proposals while completely overlooking the wishes of the membership who were very much in favour of a consortium headed up by Britain's leading matchplay golfer with the backing of Peter De Saveray - Paul Casey Golf.

Paul Casey Golf set out to secure the rights to host both the Volvo PGA Championship and the World Matchplay Championship (the former event I have attended every year since 1998). These prestige events, which are of paramount importance in maintaining the kudos of Wentworth Golf Course in the international golf scene, did not even enter into the Chinese proposal. Instead they have their sights set on closing the smaller Western course and erecting a hotel complex to house the many rich oriental businessmen they want to jet in from the far east and seem to enjoy wasting money on ridiculous fripperies such as a gold plated cleaning trough next to the 18th green.

You can see exactly why they're charging somewhere in the region of £150k pa for membership and why the members have all been left kicking the walls especially since they were more than 90% in favour of the Paul Casey Golf proposals. It's an absolute disgrace, this whole business.
              The board did nothing illegal. The membership are overpaid who no-one will care about. Plenty of actually worthwhile causes to think about.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                The board did nothing illegal. The membership are overpaid who no-one will care about. Plenty of actually worthwhile causes to think about.
                Do you move in golfing circles? I'm guessing you don't not because that is exactly the kind of inverted snobbery often levelled at the membership of top golf clubs.

Incidentally, the World Matchplay Championship hasn't been held at Wentworth for a number of years and was most recently held in that renowned golfing mecca, Bulgaria. I'm pretty sure Paul Casey Golf would have brought this event back to Virginia Water had the board seen sense and put the issue to the membership.
                Last edited by Pip in a Poke; 6 August 2017, 21:19.

Comment

Originally posted by Pip in a Poke View Post
                  Do you move in golfing circles? I'm guessing you don't not because that is exactly the kind of inverted snobbery often levelled at the membership of top golf clubs.

Incidentally, the World Matchplay Championship hasn't been held at Wentworth for a number of years and was most recently held in that renowned golfing mecca, Bulgaria. I'm pretty sure Paul Casey Golf would have brought this event back to Virginia Water had the board seen sense and put the issue to the membership.
                  Really?

WGAS, as if we just need to worry about just golf courses being bought .

As was suggested earlier if they cared that much they should have outbid the Chinese.

My heart fecking bleeds that bunch of 's are going to travel a little further, from their Surrey heartlands to play their stupid game
                  The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
                    Really?

WGAS, as if we just need to worry about just golf courses being bought .

As was suggested earlier if they cared that much they should have outbid the Chinese.

My heart fecking bleeds that bunch of 's are going to travel a little further, from their Surrey heartlands to play their stupid game
                    Plenty of golf courses in the home counties but not enough suckers who want to play....
                    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Working...
                    X