• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

External drive for laptop

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

External drive for laptop

My laptop is too new and fashionable to have a disk drive.

The government wants me to buy software I don't want, to save on VAT. To load the software I don't want I have to buy a disk drive I don't want, otherwise the software I don't want won't qualify for the vat relief.

Can anyone suggest a good external drive for my laptop?
    Must play 4k tv and 3D films.

And before anyone tells me I just could have bought a cheaper laptop with a built-in drive; I know, but that would have cost more because I would have had to pay the VAT.

I'm confused. What drive should I buy? Are they called Blu-ray or something and do they write as well as read?

?

For someone called "huge brain", it sounds like you're lacking one.

Most software these days is downloadable, so you don't need a disk drive, but lest go beyond that. If it's to install software (not watch films), you'll most likely either want a CD drive or a DVD drive. These will only cost you a few pounds.

They will not allow you to watch Bluray films through your TV, nor will they have digital optical sound outputs for your home hifi.
    You could always just buy a DVD player and connect it to your TV, then forget about the pretence of you buying it for work.

But if you really want to get a 4K Bluray drive for a PC, it will cost you around £100 - Pioneer and Asus both do them.

Please remember these will not give you great audio output and will only work through your computer, so unless it has a 4K screen and video drivers to support it, then it's not going to be great.

...back to your original post - what software is it that you must buy, then we can check on the formats it is available in, and your ruse can go out the window
    …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

A quick google:
      http://www.techradar.com/news/the-fi...comingto-japan

So your laptop had better be up to the job!

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
        For someone called "huge brain", it sounds like you're lacking one.
        Could you refrain from insulting posters in the professional forums. As it's your first time in awhile I'll refrain from issuing you an infraction this time.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
          Could you refrain from insulting posters in the professional forums. As it's your first time in awhile I'll refrain from issuing you an infraction this time.
          Impersonating a mod is an infractable offence.

I'm not sure if confusing "Professional Forum" with "General" is an offence, I'll get your accountant to google it for me.

Comment

Most of the software is not made in the UK and you can't reclaim VAT for buying it.

If the required drive is only needed to satisfy some Government requirement - buy the cheapest possible, why does it have to run 4K movies etc? Does YourCo operates a movie theater?

Comment

Originally posted by sal View Post
              Most of the software is not made in the UK and you can't reclaim VAT for buying it.

If the required drive is only needed to satisfy some Government requirement - buy the cheapest possible, why does it have to run 4K movies etc? Does YourCo operates a movie theater?
              Is any software made in the UK anymore?

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
                Impersonating a mod is an infractable offence.
                That's us both screwed then isn't it

Comment

Originally posted by hugebrain View Post
                  I'm confused. What drive should I buy?
                  This is the dog's bollocks....

Comment

Originally posted by hugebrain View Post
                    My laptop is too new and fashionable to have a disk drive.

The government wants me to buy software I don't want, to save on VAT. To load the software I don't want I have to buy a disk drive I don't want, otherwise the software I don't want won't qualify for the vat relief.

Can anyone suggest a good external drive for my laptop?
                    Must play 4k tv and 3D films.

And before anyone tells me I just could have bought a cheaper laptop with a built-in drive; I know, but that would have cost more because I would have had to pay the VAT.

I'm confused. What drive should I buy? Are they called Blu-ray or something and do they write as well as read?

?
                    Eh ?? When did this happen ? Shows the last time I bought a laptop...and any client issued laptops all have disk (hard) drives.

Comment

Working...
                    X