• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

External drive for laptop

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by hugebrain View Post
    I want to write as well as read the disks if possible, so I suppose an Xbox wouldn't work and anyway it would take up too much space in my hand luggage.

The laptop has those rounded usb ports and hdmi (probably 2a) I don't know what any of those other things are, but I imagine it has them if they were available in January. As I said, it has a music studio that came with it.

The software isn't secret, it would just be anything to get my expenses up so I can stay on the flat rate scheme, if I should be fortunate enough to get some UK or European clients in the future. For reasons that are obscure to me I think you have to buy physical discs rather than downloads for this. Also I have an old disk with Microsoft office somewhere that I'd like to install.

Those separate players seem to do less and cost more than the Japanese thing, so why are you recommending them now? Do you mean the little drive won't be able to get the Dolby sound from the disk to the computer?
    It's not a "Japanese thing" it's a product that was first launched on the Japanese market.
    Now, how about you fess up.
    What laptop do you have - exact model number?
    What exact software are you wanting to run on it?
    Have you checked if your version of office will run on Windows 10?
    Is your version of Office legal?
    This mystery software that it now turns out you lied about - the government aren't forcing you to buy it, you don't know what "it" is, etc. Well, if it's something like Freeagent, there's no disk. If it's office 365, there's no disk. If it's an email to send to your accountant, there's no disk.

In other words, your first post is made up and you're hoping to buy a UHD Bluray player for home on company expenses.

I've mentioned the sound often enough. You say your laptop came with a music studio, excellent. What do you mean by that? What are the audio capabilities, or do you not know? Maybe find out rather than making stuff up and expecting us to waste our time trying to give you good advice.
    …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

My laptop is too new and fashionable to have a disk drive.

The government wants me to buy software I don't want, to save on VAT. To load the software I don't want I have to buy a disk drive I don't want, otherwise the software I don't want won't qualify for the vat relief.

Can anyone suggest a good external drive for my laptop?
      Must play 4k tv and 3D films.

And before anyone tells me I just could have bought a cheaper laptop with a built-in drive; I know, but that would have cost more because I would have had to pay the VAT.

I'm confused. What drive should I buy? Are they called Blu-ray or something and do they write as well as read?

?

I would add; don't mix you work and leisure laptop and hard drives. Keep them separate for security especially hard disks. I would suggest take your "work laptop" to work and take a small tablet for you leisure en route. Keep your entertainment at home.

There is nothing worse than sticky blobs on a work laptop.
      "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
        There is nothing worse than sticky blobs on a work laptop.
        Being married to MF?

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
          Being married to MF?
          You just get red sticky blobs then.

Comment

My laptop is too new and fashionable to have a disk drive. ... Must play 4k tv and 3D films.
            Are you sure they distribute such films on disks?

I shudder to think how many it would take to contain an average 4K film.

Comment

It's not a "Japanese thing" it's a product that was first launched on the Japanese market.
              Now, how about you fess up.
              What laptop do you have - exact model number?
              What exact software are you wanting to run on it?
              Have you checked if your version of office will run on Windows 10?
              Is your version of Office legal?
              This mystery software that it now turns out you lied about - the government aren't forcing you to buy it, you don't know what "it" is, etc. Well, if it's something like Freeagent, there's no disk. If it's office 365, there's no disk. If it's an email to send to your accountant, there's no disk.

In other words, your first post is made up and you're hoping to buy a UHD Bluray player for home on company expenses.

I've mentioned the sound often enough. You say your laptop came with a music studio, excellent. What do you mean by that? What are the audio capabilities, or do you not know? Maybe find out rather than making stuff up and expecting us to waste our time trying to give you good advice.
              It's a razer blade Pro 17 inch laptop. Standard sort of contractor thing, good for games, running hedge funds, film making, music, massively parallel machine learning etc. don't know the model number, but has a sticker on it saying i7 which is I think the thing you need to run the blu ray.

I just want a disk drive for it.

Shouldn't be complicated, but the only one anyone has suggested is some sort of grey import that you can only install in Japanese.

Not sure why you want the specifics of what software I want to install etc. Doesn't seem remotely relevant or the sort of thing I should share with the internet.

Comment

So you've bought a games machine. It's not the sort of laptop a contractor would buy. Don't kid yourself, or us. Most contractors who buy a laptop want one that is portable. A 17" screen laptop weighing 3.5kg is not portable, but great for sitting at home playing games on.
                Audio is not an issue with that gaming laptop. The HDMI port might be as their spec sheet is unclear.

...and you're still refusing to answer simple questions like this software you want that can't be installed any other way.

Comment

don't know the model number, but has a sticker on it saying i7 which is I think the thing you need to run the blu ray.
                  I think the OP is playing for laughs now. Best ignore.
                  "My God, it's huge!!"

Comment

Originally posted by Swamp Thing View Post
                    I think the OP is playing for laughs now. Best ignore.
                    I don't want to be seen to be banning him unjustly, so I'm giving him enough rope...

Comment

The HDMI port might be as their spec sheet is unclear.

...and you're still refusing to answer simple questions like this software you want that can't be installed any other way.
                      Ok, what specifically do I need to know about the HDMI port?

What difference does the type of software i want to install make? For the sake of argument, let's just say I want to install software to look at 3d pictures of the inside of my butt.

Comment

Working...
                      X