• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

External drive for laptop

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kaiser78 View Post
    Eh ?? When did this happen ? Shows the last time I bought a laptop...and any client issued laptops all have disk (hard) drives.
    I would go out on a limb and say OP meant "optical disk drive"

Comment

Originally posted by sal View Post
      I would go out on a limb and say OP meant "optical disk drive"
      I would go out on a limb and say that the OP isn't telling us the true story.
      …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
        A quick google:
        The first external Ultra HD Blu-ray drive is coming... to Japan | TechRadar

So your laptop had better be up to the job!
        That looks like the thing I need. I didn't realise they were so new and only available in Japan that's why I didn't find any when I looked. Thanks.

As for the rest of you! Moving the question to general and then writing rubbish, what's the point? Yes, modern laptops don't have hard drives or optical drives but do have high Res screens. Yes, some clients make films.

Comment

Originally posted by hugebrain View Post
          That looks like the thing I need. I didn't realise they were so new and only available in Japan that's why I didn't find any when I looked. Thanks.
          I searched for 4K external PC. I didn't specify the country. The hit I got is for a global media source. I guess you didn't look very hard.

Yes, modern laptops don't have hard drives or optical drives but do have high Res screens. Yes, some clients make films.
          They might have hi res screens, but the screen will be useless for watching 3D films (as was one of your requirements)
          Also, as I emphasised, you're going to get crap sound.
          There's no benefit in watching a client's film in 4k if the sound is the equivalent of a crystal set.

So, if your requirement is NOT to load "government software" like you claimed in your first post, why did you make that story up, why not just say that you need to be able to show 4K videos for your clients?

Also, make sure your laptop has all the correct connections and chips capable of running an external UHD player.
          (Most people who work with clients who have these kind of requirements would have known all this already, which would further make me think that all is not quite as it should be here)

Comment

Also, make sure your laptop has all the correct connections and chips capable of running an external UHD player.

(Most people who work with clients who have these kind of requirements would have known all this already, which would further make me think that all is not quite as it should be here)
            Why would it sound bad? The laptop came with a music studio, so I suppose it has decent sound etc. Do you mean the blu ray player can't do good sound?

There's a hole where you can put in a hdmi cable if that's what you mean?

The 3d is on a separate TV/monitor, the laptop is high resolution.

As well as making/watching films I want to be able to load software.

As for getting a contract where I don't really know what I'm doing... I'm hardly the first, am I?

Comment

OK, let's put it simply... buy a UHD Bluray player for watching 3D and 4K movies on your TV.
              A Samsung UBD-K8500 would be a good choice (around £200). Alternatively an X-box One.
              Then you have a device designed specifically for playing 4K Bluray disks and the supported audio.

Next for this imaginary software that you can't tell us about, you can't download and you can't put on a memory stick, you can buy an external DVD drive for £20 from Tesco.

So you say you've got yourself into a contract where you don't know what you're doing, that being the case, why did you buy an inappropriate laptop before finding out the requirements.
              Does your laptop have USB 3 ports on it?
              Does it run Cyberlink Power DVD 14 or later?
              Does the graphics card and TV support HDCP2.2?
              Does the laptop have HDMI2.0a output?
              Does your laptop support Dolby Digital 5.1 (or similar) audio output?

Comment

As for the rest of you! Moving the question to general and then writing rubbish, what's the point? Yes, modern laptops don't have hard drives or optical drives but do have high Res screens. Yes, some clients make films.
                Because most of your question was guff.

Just saying that you didn't have a DVD/blueray drive on your laptop and you needed one for software install would have been enough.
                "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
                - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

OK, let's put it simply... buy a UHD Bluray player for watching 3D and 4K movies on your TV.
                  A Samsung UBD-K8500 would be a good choice (around £200). Alternatively an X-box One.
                  Then you have a device designed specifically for playing 4K Bluray disks and the supported audio.

Next for this imaginary software that you can't tell us about, you can't download and you can't put on a memory stick, you can buy an external DVD drive for £20 from Tesco.

So you say you've got yourself into a contract where you don't know what you're doing, that being the case, why did you buy an inappropriate laptop before finding out the requirements.
                  Does your laptop have USB 3 ports on it?
                  Does it run Cyberlink Power DVD 14 or later?
                  Does the graphics card and TV support HDCP2.2?
                  Does the laptop have HDMI2.0a output?
                  Does your laptop support Dolby Digital 5.1 (or similar) audio output?

I want to write as well as read the disks if possible, so I suppose an Xbox wouldn't work and anyway it would take up too much space in my hand luggage.

The laptop has those rounded usb ports and hdmi (probably 2a) I don't know what any of those other things are, but I imagine it has them if they were available in January. As I said, it has a music studio that came with it.

The software isn't secret, it would just be anything to get my expenses up so I can stay on the flat rate scheme, if I should be fortunate enough to get some UK or European clients in the future. For reasons that are obscure to me I think you have to buy physical discs rather than downloads for this. Also I have an old disk with Microsoft office somewhere that I'd like to install.

Those separate players seem to do less and cost more than the Japanese thing, so why are you recommending them now? Do you mean the little drive won't be able to get the Dolby sound from the disk to the computer?

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post

Just saying that you didn't have a DVD/blueray drive on your laptop and you needed one for software install would have been enough.
                    Apparently not, since I also want to use 4k and 3d TV and it seems as if the laptop needs to support all kinds of stuff and have lots of gigabytes and what not. There also appears to be more than one kind of Blu-ray.. I think I'll just buy the Japanese thing and hope it works. Unless anyone can suggest something available in the UK that does roughly the same stuff?

Comment

Impersonating a mod is an infractable offence.

I'm not sure if confusing "Professional Forum" with "General" is an offence, I'll get your accountant to google it for me.
                      You seem to have been getting away with it...
                      His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Working...
                      X