• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Labour and Tory rebels plan to keep UK in EEA

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by PurpleGorilla View Post
    So why doesn't Norway and Switzerland join the CU then?
    Like I said - I'm no expert, but they likely have their reasons, historic, economic or otherwise. The point is what works for them might not necessarily work for the UK. The devil is in the details, speaking of which still waiting for examples of specific trade agreement(s) that will be more beneficial to the UK than remaining in the CU. Not holding my breath, after all that's the whole brexit movement motto - We want out so we can do stuff better our own way. How are we going to do stuff better? We don't know, but we want it done our way, as it might be better.

Also there is a massive difference between having an established trade being outside of the CU and leaving the CU to start establishing trade outside it.

Comment

Originally posted by bobspud View Post
      1) As others have said: Its not a transition deal they want. Its a foot in the door to stop it happening at all. Therefor because we are dealing with completely devious self serving bastards that are not enacting the will of the 52% we have to take the hard way out. It would be great if those looking for the mid ground would sign their name on pain of death to use the 3 year wisely. But they wont they will do the same old civil service shuffle as always and just say "oh its a bit hard we better not bother..."

2) We can find billions of pounds to kill innocent Iraqi's or fund jihad by accident in Syria so the same open piggy bank will have to be used at home for once and if that means coming up with some serious plans to help those losing out then guess what? We need to pucker up and spend the money.

3) 52% of the turnout made the decision. Its final. We all knew it was final when we put the cross on the ballot. Whining now is pointless and makes you out to have next to no spine.

Quit bitching and ask what your grandfather or great-grandfather would make of your subservience to a quango. You sound like the archetype squealing brat in a supermarket....
      But being part of the EAA (transitionally) and outside of the EU (permanently) satisfies the criteria of the referendum, where 52% voted outside of the EU. Or are you so deluded to believe that all 52% who voted leave were voting for hard Brexit?

I understand that you hard core brexiteer nutters are not happy how common sense is starting to prevail, but please don't claim you represent 52% of the population.

Quit bitching and ask what your children and grand-children will make of your blind determination to trow the future of the country off the cliff. As they are the ones that will suffer the consequences, not your grandfather.

Comment

Originally posted by PurpleGorilla View Post
        So we should stay in the customs union then?

Switzerland is outside it, and Norway. Both are successful nations.
        They got money and oil...

Comment

As an aside providing the Indian tech population would solve quite a few problems. Rather than depressing our market they would be able to come over here without being chained to an organisation that holds their pay below the market rate and could compete at the right market rates. Industry would then be free to hire them based on their technical skills rather than because they are much cheapness...

Comment

Originally posted by sal View Post
            But being part of the EAA (transitionally) and outside of the EU (permanently) satisfies the criteria of the referendum, where 52% voted outside of the EU. Or are you so deluded to believe that all 52% who voted leave were voting for hard Brexit?

I understand that you hard core brexiteer nutters are not happy how common sense is starting to prevail, but please don't claim you represent 52% of the population.

Quit bitching and ask what your children and grand-children will make of your blind determination to trow the future of the country off the cliff. As they are the ones that will suffer the consequences, not your grandfather.
            Calm down dear!
            http://www.cih.org/news-article/disp...housing_market

Comment

Jacob Rees-Mogg angry at Labour for thwarting the will of the people:

Rees-Mogg blasts Starmer and "Metropolitan elite" for defying voters | UK | News | Express.co.uk

He may not of noticed but the electorate gave the Brexiteers a bloody nose at the GE. That's why the "Remoaners" were pumping their fists in the air and going "yeah" when David Dimbledy said "...but they don't have a majority" Who does he think all those Labour voters were who came out of nowhere.

If he isn't happy with the current parliament he should call another General Election to clear the Remoaners out.
              Last edited by BlasterBates; 3 August 2017, 11:50.
              I'm alright Jack

Comment

Do you really not understand that the EU is one flipping huge failing duck. It started as a way to protect the German car industry from Italy (VW were concerned that Fiat cars were too cheap compared to their products and it was compounded by a strong DM) and it has stagnated from there on.

It's let in countries in that dont meet the economic criteria and doesn't have enough money to pay for all its mad cap schemes. There were only three countries that were putting enough money in the pot and everyone else was taking the money.

I will be glad to look my kids in the eye and say I lobbed us over this cliff because I know that the best way to screw up their futures is to have stayed sat in a slowly boiling pot of turmoil like the proverbial lab frog.

Comment

Originally posted by bobspud View Post
                  Do you really not understand that the EU is one flipping huge failing duck. It started as a way to protect the German car industry from Italy (VW were concerned that Fiat cars were too cheap compared to their products and it was compounded by a strong DM) and it has stagnated from there on.

It's let in countries in that dont meet the economic criteria and doesn't have enough money to pay for all its mad cap schemes. There were only three countries that were putting enough money in the pot and everyone else was taking the money.

I will be glad to look my kids in the eye and say I lobbed us over this cliff because I know that the best way to screw up their futures is to have stayed sat in a slowly boiling pot of turmoil like the proverbial lab frog.
                  By that way of thinking it's time for England to drop Scotland and Wales from the UK, as they are sucking it dry...

I'm not disputing the reasons behind Brexit or Remain. Only history will show which side was right and which was wrong.

I'm disputing the blind obsession for hard Brexit at all cost. As sure as hell not all of the 52% voted for that, making the hard liners a minority, trying to force their desires to the rest of the population.

Sure, leave the EU after all that's what 52% of the people voted for, but make in an orderly manner. Leave the political union headed towards USA like federation, but what's wrong with EEA - in the words of PurpleGorilla it works for Norway and Switzerland. At least stay in EEA until all the details of the Brexit are clear and then take another step out of the EEA. Instead of dropping to WTO rules in year and a half which is guaranteed to wreck the economy.

Going back to the OP - if the majority of the Parliament, arguably representing the majority of the UK population, wants to vote for a transitional EEA period, who are you to oppose it?

Comment

By that way of thinking it's time for England to drop Scotland and Wales from the UK, as they are sucking it dry...

I'm not disputing the reasons behind Brexit or Remain. Only history will show which side was right and which was wrong.

I'm disputing the blind obsession for hard Brexit at all cost. As sure as hell not all of the 52% voted for that, making the hard liners a minority, trying to force their desires to the rest of the population.

Sure, leave the EU after all that's what 52% of the people voted for, but make in an orderly manner. Leave the political union headed towards USA like federation, but what's wrong with EEA - in the words of PurpleGorilla it works for Norway and Switzerland. At least stay in EEA until all the details of the Brexit are clear and then take another step out of the EEA. Instead of dropping to WTO rules in year and a half which is guaranteed to wreck the economy.

Going back to the OP - if the majority of the Parliament, arguably representing the majority of the UK population, wants to vote for a transitional EEA period, who are you to oppose it?
                    very few things are black and white like that.

There is a positive case to stay, and a positive case to go, as well as a negative case to stay, and a negative case to go. Ultimately you have to weigh all that up to crystallise a single decision.

What the UK gov largely decides to do right now is IMHO irrelevant. The EU will give two choices EEA or nothing, and it is clear what the majority in parliament will go for.
                    http://www.cih.org/news-article/disp...housing_market

Comment

Another problem for farming Brexiteers to put in their pipe and smoke

Dyson squeals about losing his EU subsidy

I'm alright Jack

Comment

Working...
                      X