• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You just don't get it!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There are currently 387 universities in Germany with a combined student population of approximately 2.4 million, paid for by the state resulting in a thriving economy.
    The Guardian rather challenges the idea that it was a good idea. It points out that German students do pay some fees, that only 27% go to university compared to 48% in the UK and that German universities are less costly as they don't provide the services or the extent of teaching that UK universities do. Even so, in the last paragraphs it questions whether it is affordable and can continue.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...gher-education

Not, as I've said before, that I'm against abolishing or reducing tuition fees but it needs to be only for the best students doing subjects that the economy needs. No point spending taxpayers' money on those who are only going to end up doing the jobs they would have done if they'd never been to university. That only makes it harder for firms to find employees and drives the need for more immigration. Also the cost is not just the fees but the loss of tax/NI they could have paid.
    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
      There are currently 387 universities in Germany with a combined student population of approximately 2.4 million, paid for by the state resulting in a thriving economy.

If student prospects are not enhanced then target universities chasing profits rather than providing for the needs of industry.
      According to quick google search,Germany has a population of approximately 82.67 million. At 2.4 million students this means it has 2.9% of its population at university

The UK has a population of 65.64 and 2.28 million university students meaning we have 3.4% of our population at University, so per head of capita we are sending more than Germany.

Comment

I thought the video was excellent [emoji41]
        http://www.cih.org/news-article/disp...housing_market

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post

If student prospects are not enhanced then target universities chasing profits rather than providing for the needs of industry.
          The trouble with this is, over here, everyone wants to do media studies, or some such dossy subject so they can say they have a trendy degree. Offer any 18 year old a fee-free physics degree, and knowing they'll have to work their wedding vegetables off, they'll run a fooking mile.
          His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Originally posted by Acme Thunderer View Post
            According to quick google search,Germany has a population of approximately 82.67 million. At 2.4 million students this means it has 2.9% of its population at university

The UK has a population of 65.64 and 2.28 million university students meaning we have 3.4% of our population at University, so per head of capita we are sending more than Germany.
            oh no, you & Xoggy are confusing spooter with facts. That isn't what you do to a Bremoaner...
            Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
              oh no, you & Xoggy are confusing spooter with facts. That isn't what you do to a Bremoaner...
              As opposed to a Brexiter who just ignores cogent arguments and facts?

Originally posted by PurpleGorilla View Post
              Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by PurpleGorilla View Post
                While I see why you might think that. If you were offered the chance to own a property with the added benefit of a decade or two of rampant inflation and an interest rate that at some point would balloon to a point where your mortgage on its own would cost more than you earned before tax. Would you want it?

Our little snowy gens seem to have decoupled having every thing with having the best paying job. So you get snivelling articles about ditsy birds that work for the charity sector wondering why she can't live in an area where even I would struggle...

Sorry it's gonna get a lot worse before it gets better and if you are really lucky that other nutty bird will get her way and we will get a ban on inheritances...

Comment

The thread's interesting, if only to see all the snowflake boomers continuing to pretzel themselves to justify why it was okay for them to take advantage of cheap housing and free universities, but if anyone else complains then _they're_ the snowflakes...

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
                    The Guardian rather challenges the idea that it was a good idea. It points out that German students do pay some fees, that only 27% go to university compared to 48% in the UK and that German universities are less costly as they don't provide the services or the extent of teaching that UK universities do. Even so, in the last paragraphs it questions whether it is affordable and can continue.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...gher-education

Two interesting points made in the linked article:

The idea that higher education in Germany is free is only half true. Students still have to pay an administration fee of €150-€250 a term, for which they get access to canteens and sports facilities, union membership and a student travel card.
                    Not quite equivalent to £9k a year, poor journalism.

“German universities provide a less structured experience: the onus of learning is often on the student, not the institution. But now the amount of hand-holding you get at American universities strikes me as more odd”.
                    Exactly. And the same is true in their work place. If you're shown to be lacking in your chosen subject/skill then expect to find yourself heading for the door. A student is that, someone who studies to further their education, like UK a post graduate.

My feeling is the UK is forever looking for short-term solutions to long term problems and pays out twice as much in the long run. The article might well focus on the cost but you also have to focus on the economic benefit. Measure that economic benefit and provide for it at the beginning when education starts.
                    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Mordac View Post
                      The trouble with this is, over here, everyone wants to do media studies, or some such dossy subject so they can say they have a trendy degree. Offer any 18 year old a fee-free physics degree, and knowing they'll have to work their wedding vegetables off, they'll run a fooking mile.
                      WHS. create a tiered system where certain degrees are cheaper than others. Hence media studies you pay twice what physics is.
                      What happens in General, stays in General.
                      You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Working...
                      X