• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

All diesel and petrol car sales to be banned

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

All diesel and petrol car sales to be banned

New diesel and petrol vehicles to be banned from 2040 in UK - BBC News

New diesel and petrol cars and vans will be banned in the UK from 2040 in a bid to tackle air pollution, the government is set to announce.

I will be retired in the sun or dead before then.
    First Law of Contracting: Only the strong survive

Originally posted by _V_ View Post
    New diesel and petrol vehicles to be banned from 2040 in UK - BBC News

I will be retired in the sun or dead before then.
    In protest I will buy a Trabant
    "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

I'll be so old I'll really appreciate those self-drive cars.
      Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

What happened to the hydrogen and ethanol powered cars?

Comment

Originally posted by Eirikur View Post
          And chip fat powered cars?
          "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

So... a push to electric but where's the joint announcement to ensure we're generating enough electricity to drive all of these cars?

Already owning an Outlander PHEV I'm sure that electric is the future and am really looking forward to buying an electric car that has a range of 250 miles or over which for me is the tipping point which would make electric a no brainer.

Comment

I wonder if this new announcement will tell us how the govt intends to replace the £60bn-ish they currently get from VED and fuel tax etc. Ending the VED exemption for electric cars is a start, but I think we're looking at road pricing on a massive scale, and "congestion charging" for everyone (no electric exemptions, obviously) in all big towns and cities.
              Any other ideas?
              His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Originally posted by ShandyDrinker View Post
                So... a push to electric but where's the joint announcement to ensure we're generating enough electricity to drive all of these cars?

Already owning an Outlander PHEV I'm sure that electric is the future and am really looking forward to buying an electric car that has a range of 250 miles or over which for me is the tipping point which would make electric a no brainer.
                You will need a 300 mile long mains extension lead.
                "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by Eirikur View Post
                  Well hydrogen seems to make the most sense, it's cheap to produce (relative to petrol) and only produces water vapour, plus you do get a similar sensation to internal combustion, such as a 5 min fill-up and a real engine noise - which will help pedestrians who will otherwise be mowed down in their thousands by silent cars.
                  The govt could even tax it.
                  His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

They should ban marine diesel at the same time.
                    http://www.cih.org/news-article/disp...housing_market

Comment

Working...
                    X