• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

All diesel and petrol car sales to be banned

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Rabotnik View Post
    I'm surprised those mini "bike-cars" never took off in cities. I think BMW made one? It's just a bit bigger than a bike but enclosed, so you are protected from the elements. Much cheaper to run, easier to park and makes a lot more sense than the current model of using a 1T machine to move an 80kg human.
    I remember seeing them the problem is that you can't get a pillion passenger and because of the fixed mirrors you couldn't really filter through traffic like a scooter. However it was fully protective shell with a seat belt so you didn't need a helmet.

Comment

Originally posted by _V_ View Post
      Most of the UK roads are now only about 50% tarmac. The rest being missing surface, pot hole and badly repaired lumps.
      Exactly (you forgot speed bumps). And 4 wheel drive is a lot safer in the wet, snow & ice, i.e. on the 345 days the sun isn't shining.
      His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Cities should have had something like a congestion charge for all regular vehicles and made bikes/car-bikes exempt along with building trucks and delivery vehicles. We have plenty of grocery delivery services now, so having a boot isn't really required for day to day life anymore.
        It isn't if you never have to travel with luggage, or never buy anything larger than a packet of fags, or you don't have children or a dog. Motorbikes have one useful purpose - they provide a ready supply of donor organs.
        His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

so having a boot isn't really required for day to day life anymore.
          How do I transport the bodies of my ex-wives?

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
            How do I transport the bodies of my ex-wives?
            On yer bike....

Comment

Originally posted by Mordac View Post
              Exactly (you forgot speed bumps). And 4 wheel drive is a lot safer in the wet, snow & ice, i.e. on the 345 days the sun isn't shining.
              A two wheel drive vehicle with a decent set of tyres for the conditions (e.g winter tyres in the winter), and with a driver with a modicum of driving ability*, is perfectly safe...

*something that does seem to be increasingly lacking these days - I swear it's down to complacency and/or laziness due to all the driver aids in modern cars.
              Do what thou wilt

Comment

Originally posted by Dark Black View Post
                A two wheel drive vehicle with a decent set of tyres for the conditions (e.g winter tyres in the winter), and with a driver with a modicum of driving ability*, is perfectly safe...

*something that does seem to be increasingly lacking these days - I swear it's down to complacency and/or laziness due to all the driver aids in modern cars.

And what about paraplegics? How do you give a ninety year old granny a lift? What about high winds and snow?
                "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
                  How do you give a ninety year old granny a lift?
                  Do you not learn anything from the movies....?

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
                    And what about paraplegics? How do you give a ninety year old granny a lift? What about high winds and snow?
                    Eh?
                    Do what thou wilt

Comment

Originally posted by Mordac View Post
                      And 4 wheel drive is a lot safer in the wet, snow & ice, i.e. on the 345 days the sun isn't shining.
                      I'd reckon having the correct tyres is a lot safer than a 4x4 when it comes to snow and wet. Use your gears when slowing down on ice.
                      "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
                      X