• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

All diesel and petrol car sales to be banned

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
    Can't see how this can ever work unless there's some amazing new advancement in batteries. Takes about a minute to fill a tank, at least half an hour to charge an electric car to 80% capacity with a fast charger, 6+ hours on a home charger. There's often 3 or more cars to a household. How can they possibly charge all the cars that are parked on the streets?
    I own an electric car so thought I would give my input to the discussion. I shared all the negative thoughts but now I own one I wish I had got one sooner (well, actually, they have only become practical recently)

There are 3 types of charger
    Rapid - takes 40 mins to charge my car. Most public chargers are rapid chargers, they are not found at homes as they need 3 phase power and I imagine the cost is prohibitive.
    Fast - takes 4 hours to charge my car. Most electric car owners have one of these at home.
    AC (3 pin plug) takes 10 hours to charge my car

I only charge my car every few days so it would be no problem if we had more electric cars, even if we had to charge 2 cars every day it would be no problem - first one home charges first then next one starts charging before going to bed, more cars than that then we could get a second charger. Chargers can be set to charge at different times so we could avoid overloading our incoming supply, but I imagine as electric cars get more popular there will be better solutions available.

As for those who park on the streets -
    BMW Light & Charge: UK system plans to charge electric cars with retrofitted street lights

I've not taken my car on any long journeys but it wouldn't be difficult to do and the range is getting better on new cars all the time (you will be able to get 200 miles out the Tesla 3) and charging locations and times are getting better too. I believe that Tesla's are designed with rapid swap battery packs so you can just swap and go for a fee (although this is not available yet)

An earlier poster mentioned folk stealing your cable to charge their own car - you can't do that as the car locks on to the cable.

As an earlier poster said - we'll all be driving non-petrol/diesel cars by 2040 anyway so really this is a non story.
    Lack of capacity on the grid and tax revenue are the only problems.

HTH
    Back at the coal face

Comment

Originally posted by al_cam View Post
      As an earlier poster said - we'll all be driving non-petrol/diesel cars by 2040 anyway so really this is a non story.
      The earlier poster and you are wrong on that. They are not banning petrol and diesel cars in 2040, but the sale of new ones.
      A sublte, but significant, difference
      …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Rapid - takes 40 mins to charge my car. Most public chargers are rapid chargers, they are not found at homes as they need 3 phase power and I imagine the cost is prohibitive.
        German houses have that in one certain room of the house which is why I don't have a cooker but a **** off big mainframe in my kitchen
        Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

I own an electric car so thought I would give my input to the discussion.
          Just out of interest, but have you kept track of your increase in electricity bill since going electric? How much of an increase over your normal bill is it, and how does that compare to your usual petrol/diesel bill?

As for those who park on the streets -
          BMW Light & Charge: UK system plans to charge electric cars with retrofitted street lights
          Infrastructure on the street may be one thing, but can the local substations cope with the expected increase in throughput, especially any spike increases at about 10pm when everyone puts their car on charge and goes to bed? Some of them can't handle everyone putting a kettle on during the ads in Britain's Got Talent...

I'm pro-moving-to-electric, but i doubt any government's ability to do joined-up thinking.

Comment

Originally posted by meridian View Post
            Just out of interest, but have you kept track of your increase in electricity bill since going electric? How much of an increase over your normal bill is it, and how does that compare to your usual petrol/diesel bill?

Infrastructure on the street may be one thing, but can the local substations cope with the expected increase in throughput, especially any spike increases at about 10pm when everyone puts their car on charge and goes to bed? Some of them can't handle everyone putting a kettle on during the ads in Britain's Got Talent...

I'm pro-moving-to-electric, but i doubt any government's ability to do joined-up thinking.
            You walk down the garage with your jerry cans and fill up your diesel generator. Simples.

Comment

Originally posted by meridian View Post

Quite. It would have been better to wait and see which technologies evolved to meet the requirements before proposing a blanket ban just because there's a zero in the year and it looks good to the environmentals.
              I have no idea how close we could be to having a fully electric HGV fleet, if at all.
              His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
                The earlier poster and you are wrong on that. They are not banning petrol and diesel cars in 2040, but the sale of new ones.
                A sublte, but significant, difference
                It's not the end of the IC engine anyway as hybrids are not included in the ban...

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/i...diesel-car-ban

The move is part of a £2.7bn blueprint for tackling air pollution, and is consistent with the Government’s election manifesto. The ban won't affect cars with hybrid and plug-in hybrid drivetrains, but rather "conventional petrol and diesel cars".

The paper also mentions further possible exemptions for combustion engine cars, once air quality levels improve to a satisfactory point.
                Do what thou wilt

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
                  You better look again!

The photo-card driving licence needs to be renewed every 10 years.
                  After 70, it needs renewing every three years.
                  I've still got the old paper one, it's valid until I move*, and then it's over to the 'renew every 10 years' scam.

*you're going to tell me that's changed and I'm going to be fined and flogged, aren't you.
                  His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

It's about £2,500 which only covers the connection. It'll be closer to double that if you need extras like planning consent from the council to dig up the road etc.
                    Also, rapid charging roasts the batteries, so you don't want to be doing it regularly.

Comment

Meanwhile a cruise ship...

marine pollution analysts in Germany and Brussels said that such a large ship would probably burn at least 150 tonnes of fuel a day, and emit more sulphur than several million cars, more NO2 gas than all the traffic passing through a medium-sized town and more particulate emissions than thousands of London buses.
                      https://www.theguardian.com/environm...lution-problem
                      "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Working...
                      X