• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

All diesel and petrol car sales to be banned

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
    Only in old indirect Diesel engines. In a common rail Diesel, the high pressure will blow the joints in the injector system (eventually).
    Not quite, VW's TDI like the PD is direct injection, but not common rail pre-2009ish and can take 50:50 oil:diesel with no issues

Comment

Originally posted by ShandyDrinker View Post
      So... a push to electric but where's the joint announcement to ensure we're generating enough electricity to drive all of these cars?
      I think someone already did the sums on this, it uses less electricity to power an EV car than it does to refine the oil into petrol. or something like that.

Comment

Originally posted by sal View Post
        Not quite, VW's TDI like the PD is direct injection, but not common rail pre-2009ish and can take 50:50 oil:diesel with no issues
        Like you can trust anything VW say about their engines!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
          No. You're going now.
          Where's your sense of humour NAT? Surely he/she wins the "Fastest Ban in CUK History Award"? 1 min from first post to permaban.

(Whose socky was it, btw?)
          His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Originally posted by Eirikur View Post
            As if petrol and LPG aren't flammable
            I seem to remember petrol isn't flammable unless it's vapour, could be wrong though. LPG remains a mystery, I've hardly ever seen it on sale, so there must be only a handful of cars which run on it. The car boot basically becomes the fuel tank, so it's not a very practical solution if you need to carry stuff around with you.
            His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Originally posted by Mordac View Post
              Where's your sense of humour NAT? Surely he/she wins the "Fastest Ban in CUK History Award"? 1 min from first post to permaban.

(Whose socky was it, btw?)
              Would you believe it was mine?
              Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

I seem to remember petrol isn't flammable unless it's vapour, could be wrong though. LPG remains a mystery, I've hardly ever seen it on sale, so there must be only a handful of cars which run on it. The car boot basically becomes the fuel tank, so it's not a very practical solution if you need to carry stuff around with you.
                Used to work with a guy who swore by LPG. You can get tanks that fit where your spare tyre lives, but they don't give you huge capacity.

Where it's useful is if you have a big big car and engine, and huge boot that can swallow an LPG tank and still have room. It's so clean though that LPG can be a bit hard on wear within your engine. Cylinder heads can get damaged etc.
                http://www.cih.org/news-article/disp...housing_market

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
                  Would you believe it was mine?
                  You know, I probably would. Although if you are on a ban-bonus, you might just get that one chalked off...

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post
                    Like you can trust anything VW say about their engines!
                    No OI trust my own experience of driving a 2003 Ibiza with a mix of oil and diesel for a couple of years and other people personal experiences.

Petrol liquid burns, diesel too, but it requires much more heat. With petrol enough heat comes from the much more flammable vapor, as petrol is volatile enough at room temperature, where diesel isn't and can't be easily ignited. That's why petrol engines can use spark to ignite he fuel mixture, where diesel need to rely on pressure.

LPG is more akin to Petrol in that regard - it's kept as liquid in the tank thanks to high pressure, when released from the tank the entire volume evaporates into gas in an instant making it much more flammable and dangerous than Petrol. It's very popular in East Europe as it's an easy conversion for a Petrol engine with similar mpg but 1/2 the price. Some manufacturers have LPG system available for some of their models.

Methane is also quite popular and even cheaper than LPG, the huge downside is that the tank needs to withstand much higher pressure to required to liquefy the methane meaning much thicker walls and much heavier tank, taking a lot of boot space in an aftermarket conversion. This is somewhat resolved in the factory designed models that run on methane.

Comment

Originally posted by PurpleGorilla View Post
                      Used to work with a guy who swore by LPG. You can get tanks that fit where your spare tyre lives, but they don't give you huge capacity.

Where it's useful is if you have a big big car and engine, and huge boot that can swallow an LPG tank and still have room. It's so clean though that LPG can be a bit hard on wear within your engine. Cylinder heads can get damaged etc.
                      I did see a TV show sometime back where they tried to convert an old V8 Range Rover to LPG, but it was the wrong type of RR and the engine couldn't handle it, probably the same sort of thing you've described. The other problem with LPG is that you can't seem to get it anywhere. I know of one Esso on the Uxbridge Road near Ealing which sells it, and that's about it. Mind you, the cost savings if you do run a V8 RR must be quite considerable, and worth the trek to find it.

Comment

Working...
                      X