• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Working from home, less productive?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Working from home, less productive?

So I had a meeting with a head of IT person.

He told me he doesn't want people working from home because in his words they are only 70% productive as office based workers.

I held my tongue but what do you reckon, home based workers piss takers?

What a load of crap.

Those working from home are normally more productive.

There are exceptions but they are normally certain types of civil service workers.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

I think there is a mix. Everyone knows the coasters in an office. If they coast in the office they'll coast even more at home. Some people work harder at home, some people work less.

I certainly don't think everyone is more productive at home is true at all and is poor management to think that.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

People are more productive if they understand what they are supposed to be doing and why.

If you get that bit right where they are physically located makes no difference.

Comment

I find I wank at home far more that I do at work in front of the computer...

Comment

WFH is good only if you have a target/task that is quantifiable and achievable at home.

Comment

depends...

I think it depends on the individual - agree with comments above that those who coast in the office will prob do it more at home.

In general, I work from home quite a lot and for me personally it's a godsend because I have a very long commute. With that in mind I never take the p*&% and make sure I am as productive as i can be, visible with my outputs and always available. The idea of home working being taken away from me removes any temptation to abuse it.

Comment

Some say that when working from home, cleaning the oven has never been more productive.

Some might be more productive at home as they get less interruptions. Though that may make others in the team less productive.....

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
                  I find I wank at home far more that I do at work in front of the computer...
                  30% more wanking at home, interesting.

Comment

I, on any given day, get feck all done at the client co office.

At home I find I can get feck all done much quicker, and with a lot less faff.
                    First Law of Contracting: Only the strong survive

Comment

Working...
                    X