• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Working from home, less productive?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    I think there is a mix. Everyone knows the coasters in an office. If they coast in the office they'll coast even more at home. Some people work harder at home, some people work less.

I certainly don't think everyone is more productive at home is true at all and is poor management to think that.
    Yeah his argument was that people share more ideas and discuss things.

But that is nothing you cant do with skype or slack.

Another thing I noticed was this company works long hours, I was there on a Friday afternoon and whilst waiting I could see the developers alternating trips to the loo and coffee machine.

When they would return to their desk I could see they where just moving windows around.

I've never understood that, on a normal day there are only so many productive hours the rest you can see people counting down the clock.

Comment

For me I am more productive when I 'WFH'. Mostly because i'm not distracted by chatting to colleagues as well avoiding those scumbags who can't be bothered to think for themselves. Sometimes I feel like getting a ticket machine like on a cheese counter to dish out out a fair queuing system.

Plus all the household chores get done during the week saving me more time on a weekend

Comment

The hardest part about WFH is choosing between 'Storage Wars' or 'Undercover Boss'.

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
          What a load of crap.

Those working from home are normally more productive.

There are exceptions but they are normally certain types of civil service workers.
          Myself & Mrs M tend to far longer hours when wfh. Plus there are fewer distractions. She's properly wfh (3-4 days a week) at the mo and she often works through till 9 or 10pm.
          I think the objection arises from the fookwits who think along the lines of "if I can't see you, you're probably playing pokemon". Such retards still exist, unfortunately.
          His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Originally posted by Mordac View Post
            Myself & Mrs M tend to far longer hours when wfh. Plus there are fewer distractions. She's properly wfh (3-4 days a week) at the mo and she often works through till 9 or 10pm.
            I think the objection arises from the fookwits who think along the lines of "if I can't see you, you're probably playing pokemon". Such retards still exist, unfortunately.
            Sadly so do the people that play Pokemon when they can't be seen. Just becasue you work hard doesn't mean everyone does.
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

I work from home - at my discretion - when I have specific tasks to complete, or the weather is bad so I don't want to venture out, or the weather is good so I want to go swimming, or I just don't feel like going into the office.

The advantage of being in the office, is that colleagues can quickly and easily ask me questions, and I can pick up additional work just by chatting to various budget holders. The advantage of being at home is that I can wok uninterrupted (IM, Email and phone calls from the client notwithstanding), and generally get more done in a shorter time.

I'm glad my clients are only concerned that I deliver what they need on time, not how long I'm in their offices.

I worked on one project with a standard 45 hour week so that "it can get finished on time". Utterly pointless. Just meant people had longer breaks - while still on the clock.
              Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

99% of the time I'm waiting for others to catch up, or deliver what I need to progress.
                Therefore it doesn't matter where I do that. On my way in today as I may have an offer of some more work
                The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

If you have fixed deliverables and you deliver them, what's the problem.
                  What happens in General, stays in General.
                  You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Due to the stupid new German labour laws which includes contractors, I have to work from home now and I've never done so many hours, getting lots done though...
                    Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Today zero meetings in the office,so why should I travel 230 miles? Doing nothing in the office or doing nothing at home. So WFH today

Comment

Working...
                      X