• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Abolishing Tax Discs a Revenue Winner for HMG.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by original PM View Post
    This concept that because I cannot see my tax disc I forget to get one is and has been proven to be absolute bollox and is simple an excuse for not getting their tax disc.
    Could you share that proof please?

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Albert View Post
      For those of you who find it too hard to remember to pay the tax when you get a letter or to set up a DD, there's no law saying you can't print the renewal date on a piece of paper and stick that in your windscreen.

After the change, I had the tax disc showing in my car until I sold it.

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Albert View Post
        For those of you who find it too hard to remember to pay the tax when you get a letter or to set up a DD, there's no law saying you can't print the renewal date on a piece of paper and stick that in your windscreen.
        Oddly enough there was some website or other that allowed you to do that.
        "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by oscarose View Post
          Create a DD...simples...
          It doesn't work like that. They send you a paper reminder with a 16 digit code which you enter online, the system checks you have a valid MOT & Insurance, and then you are invited to pay them £245 or whatever it is for the year.
          The online system is much easier than going to the post office, but it's certainly not perfect. If, for any reason, you don't get that bit of paper, you are pretty well screwed.
          His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Originally posted by Mordac View Post
            It doesn't work like that.

Yes it does. I haven't had a reminder or a code since I set up the DD online when they changed the system. They automatically take the payment each year - it's literally set and forget.

https://www.gov.uk/vehicle-tax-direct-debit/renewing

2. Renewing your vehicle tax

Your vehicle tax will renew automatically when it’s due to run out.

You’ll get an email or letter telling you when your Direct Debit payments will be taken.

You won’t be sent a vehicle tax reminder letter (V11).

Comment

Originally posted by FrontEnder View Post

After the change, I had the tax disc showing in my car until I sold it.
              This... I still do - as long as I get 12 months and don't lapse/sorn it for any reason I always know which month it expires. Simples.

you can also check the expiry date online so there's no excuse for missing it.
              Do what thou wilt

Comment

Originally posted by Dark Black View Post
                This... I still do - as long as I get 12 months and don't lapse/sorn it for any reason I always know which month it expires. Simples.

You could get one of these linky They have a nice red skull design.
                "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by Dark Black View Post

I never looked at it. it stayed there because I cba removing it.

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                    You could get one of these linky They have a nice red skull design.
                    Oooh that's quite funky.. I kinda like the vintage disc too in a retro sort of way...

Nice to see someone making money from a simple idea
                    Do what thou wilt

Comment

Originally posted by TheCyclingProgrammer View Post
                      Yes it does. I haven't had a reminder or a code since I set up the DD online when they changed the system. They automatically take the payment each year - it's literally set and forget.

https://www.gov.uk/vehicle-tax-direct-debit/renewing
                      Thanks for that, I hadn't noticed the change.
                      His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Working...
                      X