• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Is this a pork sword I see before me?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shakespeare was gay claims RSC director | Daily Mail Online

Shakespeare was gay claims RSC director who accuses Victorian academics of covering up the bard's homosexuality
    Greg Doran claimed that bard's 'outsider' perspective offered clues
    He added that 126 of Shakespeare's 154 sonnets are addressed to men
    Mr Doran said Victorian scholars were 'embarrassed' by Shakespeare's sexuality
    They thought it wasn't 'kosher' for a national literary hero to male 'affectations'
    goodo.

Speaking on BBC Radio 4's Today programme, Mr Doran said: 'I guess a growing understanding of Shakespeare as I have worked with him over the many years that I have, makes me realise that his perspective is very possibly that of an outsider.

'It allows him to get inside the soul of a black general, a Venetian jew, an Egyptian queen or whatever and perhaps that outsider perspective has something to do with his sexuality.'
    irrefutable evidence as always. Now who cares?
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Originally posted by vetran View Post

Comment

To be fair, the evidence has been there for us all to see, it's just that the names of some of the plays have morphed over the years. A few examples of what he actually wrote that the academics have been keeping from us:-
      • Romeo and Julian
      • Richard III (today)
      • Toilets and Cressida
      • As I like it
      • King Spear
      • Gay Wives of Windsor
      • The taking of a shrew
      • Two "Gentlemen" of Verona
      • Henry V (better than yesterday)

Comment

Working...
      X