• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Now if only he had thought of that before the armed robbery!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tiggat View Post
    Are you sure?
    well if they have had a modicum of training then they are likely to make things better.

Clearing the airway, stemming bleeding and keeping the heart pumping will increase the likelihood that the experts can save you when they get there.
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by tiggat View Post
      Are you sure?
      My point being that, if I'm bleeding out and nobody does anything, I'll die before the emergency services arrive at scene. If a bystander gets involved and makes a complete mess of things, I'll also die. Ergo, I'm in no worse a position since I die either way. But there's a chance the bystander gets involved and doesn't make a complete mess of things, they help to stem the bleeding, and the emergency services arrive in time to save me.

Of course, there's any number of other situations where doing something without knowing what you're doing genuinely could make the situation worse, but for the specific situation I'm talking about, not so much.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
        Anyone can make a citizens arrest. In fact, it is what special constables do as they have no powers of arrest.

You should be arrested for crimes against intelligence. As soon as I have arrested sasguru, I will be round for you....
        A member of the public has significantly fewer powers of so called "citizen's arrest" than a constable.

For a start you can only arrest if you believe a crime has been committed. Unlike a copper, you can't arrest someone supposedly loitering with intent to commit a crime.

Also, your belief must be well founded, in that the crime for which you made the arrest must turn out to have been committed. (I don't think it has to have been committed by the person you arrested, but I'm not sure about that.)

And I think a citizen's arrest can only be legally made for a sufficiently serious crime, what used to be called a felony but is now something like "an arrestable offence that upon conviction can result in a jail sentence of at least two years". So something trivial like littering is not rightful grounds for a citizen's arrest.

If you get any of the above wrong then the perp or suspected perp can sue you for wrongful arrest.

I'm not sure where "special constables" fit on the powers of arrest spectrum. But I'd have thought if they are sworn in as constables (the legal office rather than the rank) then under common law they have full powers of arrest like any other copper.
        Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

His mate should be prosecuted for manslaughter - causing death by the criminal negligence of going on a job with him.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/articl...itizens-arrest
          Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
            His mate should be prosecuted for manslaughter - causing death by the criminal negligence of going on a job with him.

How to make a citizen's arrest - BBC Newsbeat
            Next time I see a murder in progress, I will check all the above instead of intervening.

No wonder the UK is stuffed.

Comment

Next time I see a murder in progress, I will check all the above instead of intervening.

No wonder the UK is stuffed.
              That is how the Swiss operate.
              Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Let us know when that eventuality arises...

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
                  I'm not sure where "special constables" fit on the powers of arrest spectrum. But I'd have thought if they are sworn in as constables (the legal office rather than the rank) then under common law they have full powers of arrest like any other copper.
                  I think Brillo is thinking of PCSO's which only hold a small handful of privileges above ordinary citizens. Special Constables, on the other hand, hold the same powers as their ordinary counterparts.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                    He looks like a big lad in the justgiving page. Pretty brave of whoever took him on!
                    'kin hell, you're not wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                      Next time come over all hippy-like and say "Karma".
                      I think there was a "You reap what you sow" comment at the time.

Comment

Working...
                      X