• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Professional Working Day

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1. Daily Rate
    2. Project Specific
    3. Start Date to End Date rather than referencing weeks, months etc.

It may come across as being a prima donna but the point I made to the agent was that I can't adhere to a specific 8hr per day contract so why should I sign it. Agreeing to a 40hr week is meeting in the middle rather than PWD. Tbh I was probably angry that the agent's tone and attitude towards me deteriorated rapidly when I held my ground which made me dig my heels in even more.

P.s. In the end the client agreed to take out the wording so my request couldn't have been unreasonable after all.

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
    A few questions:
    1. Are you on an hourly rate or a daily rate?
    2. Is your contract project-specific?
    3. Does your contract specify a total number of days or is it a number of weeks/months/something else?

Comment

Could you out the quote first so we can see the context of your answer please.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

I don't think it's arrogant, some companies are quite rigid (their perogative but a little open mindedness can help everyone). Maybe I could have articulated my point better.

Like I've said, the crux of the matter is I can't adhere to a fixed 8hr day every day. If you step back and look at it subjectively then all I'm doing is saying I can't sign a contract that I'll breach from day 1. If people are honest from the outset there can be no complaints.

Originally posted by gables View Post
        Yup agree with Cojak, 'professional working day' is just too open to interpretation as evidenced on previous discussions about it on here. And if I'm honest OP you sound a bit prima donnerish, and a bit arrogant about 'Companies need to be dragged into a new way of thinking' - really? (which isn't that new, my wife was wfh in 1994) You're a supplier, it's their business, if you don't like it find another client.

Despite what I said above these are good questions, the answers to which would have a bearing.
        Last edited by jungleboogy; 18 July 2017, 18:55.

Comment

All I did
          Originally posted by jungleboogy View Post
          It may come across as being a prima donna but the point I made to the agent was that I can't adhere to a specific 8hr per day contract so why should I sign it. Agreeing to a 40hr week is meeting in the middle rather than PWD. Tbh I was probably angry that the agent's tone and attitude towards me deteriorated rapidly when I held my ground which made me dig my heels in even more.

P.s. In the end the client agreed to take out the wording so my request couldn't have been unreasonable after all.
          Was ask you some simple questions, you don't need to go off on one at me.

Oh, and PLEASE put the quote BEFORE your reply or it makes you look like a primadonna who doesn't understand basic forum etiquette
          …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

If you can't adhere to client's requests, they are stupid to employ you, because when they ask you to carry out some work for them, you'll be waving your contract at them to say that it doesn't stipulate that you have to do that work.
            …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Being a non conformist I'll keep the quote below thanks.

Anyway, it's clear we have a difference of opinion which is fine, would be a dull existence if we were all on the same page.

All I did

Was ask you some simple questions, you don't need to go off on one at me.

Oh, and PLEASE put the quote BEFORE your reply or it makes you look like a primadonna who doesn't understand basic forum etiquette

Comment

1. Daily Rate
                2. Project Specific
                3. Start Date to End Date rather than referencing weeks, months etc.

As I said earlier, you wouldn't have faced such issues if you had discussed with the client at the interview.

I would never attempt trying to broker this through the agent, after the event, as you may face resistance, as you have found.
                The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Being a non conformist I'll keep the quote below thanks.
                  There is a difference between being a non conformist and being a pillock.

Deliberately not using a common sense method when asking for free advice from your peers is just being stupid or trolling.
                  'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

If you can't adhere to client's requests, they are stupid to employ you, because when they ask you to carry out some work for them, you'll be waving your contract at them to say that it doesn't stipulate that you have to do that work.
                    Can you ban someone for breaking forum netiquette for a day until they behave?
                    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Good idea doh!

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                      Can you ban someone for breaking forum netiquette for a day until they behave?

Comment

Working...
                      X