• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Coinstar

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Coinstar

As I'm moving I took a sandwich box tub of coins that I found in a drawer down to the Coinstar machine at Tescos the other day. I thought maybe seven or eight pounds. Came to £35!

The second batch was £50,and just taken the big box that I suspect was from the last time I moved and that was another £80.

So £165 I had sitting around doing nothing that's now gone to four different charities. Feels good. When do I get my karmic reward?
    Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
    As I'm moving I took a sandwich box tub of coins that I found in a drawer down to the Coinstar machine at Tescos the other day. I thought maybe seven or eight pounds. Came to £35!

The second batch was £50,and just taken the big box that I suspect was from the last time I moved and that was another £80.

So £165 I had sitting around doing nothing that's now gone to four different charities bosses AMG Mercedes. Feels good. When do I get my karmic reward?
    FTFY....

Comment

oh dear

Milan.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post

So £165 I had sitting around doing nothing that's now gone to four different charities. Feels good. When do I get my karmic reward?
        What you had sitting around != what you get out of a coinstar machine.

You must be tulip at those games where you have to guess the amount/number of things in a bottle at summer fetes.
        Last edited by northernladuk; 14 July 2017, 12:37.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Next time go to a Metro bank branch (sadly mostly London based), so you don't lose large chunk of your savings to the Coinstar commission.

Comment

Have you seen the commission on those things? 9% IIRC.

Comment

Originally posted by RSoles View Post
              Have you seen the commission on those things? 9% IIRC.
              And on top of that have you seen inside one of them? One got jammed while I was using it and a guy came over and opened the bottom bit and there were bleeding coins all over the place inside. He said I might as well put them back in rather that them taking it. Finished my coins and we put the crap inside back through and gave it to charity. Good couple of quid just lying around inside.

Shoddy mechanics and you've no way to check.

We charge a 9.9% coin processing fee for cash transactions (but, fees may vary by location). There is a 7% charge for charity donations. The fee is deducted from the amount poured at the time of your transaction
              Very charitable of them....
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

My local pub likes bags of coins because it saves the cost of cash handling the bank would otherwise charge them. And because they will get most of it back over the bar anyway.

Comment

I take my loose change to Tesco and pump it into the self service checkout. A slower process, but I get rid of the change, and I don't pay a commission on it.

Winner Winner, Tesco Value Chicken Dinner.
                  Taking a break from contracting

Comment

Originally posted by sal View Post
                    Next time go to a Metro bank branch (sadly mostly London based), so you don't lose large chunk of your savings to the Coinstar commission.
                    +1

You may have to queue as they are very popular with cabbies.

Comment

Working...
                    X