• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Why the EU love in?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do we need a separate forum for Brexit?
    "Is someone you don't like allowed to say something you don't like? If that is the case then we have free speech."- Elon Musk

Comment

Originally posted by Mordac View Post
      If you're waiting for a sensible answer to that question, I fear you may be waiting a very long time...

Mordy in "Sh it kicking retard" Mode.
      Originally posted by Troll View Post
      Quislings, traitors, Fifth Columnist, Immigrants ... take your pick
      Originally posted by vetran View Post
      Key thing to remember with most of the vociferous remainduhrs on here is that they don't live or pay tax in the UK or they moved to the UK because they couldn't hack it in their own countries. They are also part of the top 10% if not 1%.

Their preference is based on the impact it will have on them i.e. they might not be able to move freely around europe & earn top 1% of salary. They may not be able to get a cheap migrant to clean their mercedes or other things and they object to not being able to contribute to organised crime directly. Compare this to those sad bremainers who are competing against people on minimum wage happy to live 10 to a room because after 5 years doing this they can go home & retire the rich then expat bremainers are obviously more deserving.
      And the above posts show what happens when you ask a loaded question - those who support your view choose to reply with lies/further spin, trying to discredit any answers even if they aren't given.
      It's people like that which have given the Brexit camp such a bad reputation. Those who are actually able to argue points, without name calling or just laughing rather than thinking, they don't jump into threads like this with their vitriol.

This forum is Contractor UK. I am a contractor. I live in the UK. I pay taxes in the UK. Liars on here frequently claim that I live abroad, that I don't pay taxes, etc.
      I'm a contractor from the UK. Those who claim I am not, are they currently contractors?
      …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
        Welcome to Contractor UK.
        We already had sovereignty while in the EU.

We have given up some of our sovereignty. We have to apply EU law in the UK.

We already had control of our borders while in the EU

Again, to a certain extent. People from the EU can move here freely but we can check their identity and return them if there is a threat. Identifying if they are threat is a problem. But yep people can travel to the UK and we can check their identity.

We could already make our own laws while in the EU

Again, if they don't conflict with EU law.

We could limit freedom of movement to those with employment
        Successive governments chose not to, making it easier for people like you to blame the EU for everything that is wrong with the UK.

What difference would it make, you could move here for a cleaning job. You would be paid benefits to bring your wage up to a certain level. Your family members could also move over and again claim benefits. They can also claim housing and council tax benefit.

If they don't keep their job and they meet certain lax (in my opinion) criteria they can also claim jobseeker allowance.

By being in the EU, contractors who are from the UK were free to work within the whole of Europe.

Yep but how many of us do that, really. Again, you can still work in the EU after Brexit - just harder.

It's not about "loving" the EU, it's about not hating everyone who isn't British. It's not about "loving", it's about wanting to work and travel without restrictions.
        It's about not being cocooned little snowflakes who don't like anything that is beyond their limited framework or that challenges their viewpoint.
        Far from being cocooned little snowflakes many people are brave enough to see the issues with the EU and want to do it a different way. We will still trade with the EU and they will still sell us stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
          The other posters have given good answers but I must add that one of the original reasons for joining the then Common Market was give by the then Prime Minister Ted Heath. He knew the UK was losing influence and he wanted to balance the influence of the USA by having a stronger Europe. Leaving the EU will mean less sovereignty because the USA will have far more influence over UK policy. You can look forward to trade deals being dictated by the USA including the total control of banking regulations. The UK will end up with less sovereignty than Puerto Rico.
          Puerto Rico wants to become the 51st State.

IMHO things turned sour after Lisbon treaty.

President of the EU and all that. Too much.

A trade union is all I'm interested in.
          http://www.cih.org/news-article/disp...housing_market

Comment

Originally posted by woohoo View Post
            Far from being cocooned little snowflakes many people are brave enough to see the issues with the EU and want to do it a different way. We will still trade with the EU and they will still sell us stuff.
            Except the "different way" is undefined, there is no trade deal with the EU, and there is no discussion on freedom of movement for work.
            …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
              Except the "different way" is undefined, there is no trade deal with the EU, and there is no discussion on freedom of movement for work.
              Chances are there will be a trade deal with the EU, I would be surprised if it went to WTO rules.

Freedom of movement for work is part of the negotiations - personally I want to see skilled people move here - i don't want an influx of unskilled people and their families claiming benefits. Saying that we have a miserable record of doing that with non-eu people.

Comment

Originally posted by excon View Post
                Long time lurker first time poster, genuine question why are so many posters on here seemingly in love with the EU? Why do you love it so much and what do you think it is?
                There's two things.

1. We don't "love the EU". We know there are many things drastically wrong with the EU. It's just we think that Britain is better off being in. It's a bit like many of us are aware that the conservatives are a bunch of incompetent self-serving bastards, but we vote for them because it's better than Labour.

2. There's a great deal of entertainment to be had brexiters, because they're such delicate little snowflakes.
                Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
                  There's two things.

1. We don't "love the EU". We know there are many things drastically wrong with the EU. It's just we think that Britain is better off being in. It's a bit like many of us are aware that the conservatives are a bunch of incompetent self-serving bastards, but we vote for them because it's better than Labour.

2. There's a great deal of entertainment to be had brexiters, because they're such delicate little snowflakes.
                  3. You also love a good ole moan and whinge.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
                    Key thing to remember with most of the vociferous remainduhrs on here is that they don't live or pay tax in the UK or they moved to the UK because they couldn't hack it in their own countries. They are also part of the top 10% if not 1%.

Their preference is based on the impact it will have on them i.e. they might not be able to move freely around europe & earn top 1% of salary. They may not be able to get a cheap migrant to clean their mercedes or other things and they object to not being able to contribute to organised crime directly. Compare this to those sad bremainers who are competing against people on minimum wage happy to live 10 to a room because after 5 years doing this they can go home & retire the rich then expat bremainers are obviously more deserving.
                    I am not privileged, it is just that I spent my money wisely. Rather than spending money on the latest BMWs that depreciates, I invested in property in the UK and abroad. Your attitude seems to be “I haven’t got it therefore, neither can you have it.” It is the same excuse that youths make when they are caught keying cars or vandalising property. "Why should they have it?"
                    "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by woohoo View Post
                      Chances are there will be a trade deal with the EU, I would be surprised if it went to WTO rules.

Freedom of movement for work is part of the negotiations - personally I want to see skilled people move here - i don't want an influx of unskilled people and their families claiming benefits. Saying that we have a miserable record of doing that with non-eu people.
                      So why on earth do you expect that with EU people? Especially considering that the person in charge of the Home Office for the previous 6 years, and therefore had all the power to do something about non-EU, was one T. May?

Surely the penny must drop some time that successive UK governments (both Labour and Tory) don't give a flying hoot about restricting immigration as you would like?

Comment

Working...
                      X