• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Private School Question

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Platypus View Post
    ^ Top advice.

I sent my two. Daughter was hard-working and diligent, she'd have done fine at a comp, but private got the best out of her, although there's a lot of snobbery so unless you're actually rich (rather than wealthy) expect your kid to be treated as a 2nd class citizen by the rich ones. Anyway, in her case, best decision ever.

My son was a lazy sod. Waste of time and money sending him, he just messed about, may as well have sent him to fail at the local comp.

Which goes right back to MS's words of wisdom
    You're not SAS's Dad are you?

Comment

I can see the benefit but next one coming up is going the local high school. There are options to ship him off in a coach to city grammars/private gaffs everyday but I think you also lose something doing this.
      I think it will be good to have strong connections with people in the local area, friends nearby etc.
      It's in a nice area = parents who care and encourage and streaming will fill in the gaps for academic stuff, as long as he is happy and progressing reasonably, no worries.
      It is also what you see as a success for your kids ? If it's passing exams, then fine but GCSE's are a joke really and irrelevant the day after the results.
      Contacts ? Maybe at the top places, but not seeing that as a guaranteed passport.
      Financial success ? Give me the school fee money from 4-18 and I will invest it and set your kid up for life/enable them to really find what they want their lives to look like, why should it mirror ours ?

Comment

I have to agree that to benefit private education you got to have some potential to be able to take the opportunities and make the best of it - with my kids my eldest lad and daughter would have done OK but my other lad would have dossed about. Luckily my daughters school place is partially funded by the gov (means tested) by the arts programme so it has allsorts there and not just toffs.

Been a good first year - she was in a documentary on BBC2 on Xmas day, live in the cinema broadcast of the Nutcracker and just had the end of year show - at the Royal Opera House......

Comment

Well she had another look around this morning. She's worried about losing friends who are going to the state school and whether she'd fit in.

Having been taken around again today, seeing the school again (which I have to say is state of the art & fantastic), fantastic grounds. Just 38 will be in year 7 when she starts, 8 of those would be new starters as well. She's come home & decided that the Private School would be best for her & her future & that she would be pushed and have to work hard.

I have to say it's a very laudable and grown up decision, which is going to cost me 100k for the next 5 years, and I suppose if it all goes tits up & she hates it, she can always go back to state.
          What happens in General, stays in General.
          You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
            Well she had another look around this morning. She's worried about losing friends who are going to the state school and whether she'd fit in.

Having been taken around again today, seeing the school again (which I have to say is state of the art & fantastic), fantastic grounds. Just 38 will be in year 7 when she starts, 8 of those would be new starters as well. She's come home & decided that the Private School would be best for her & her future & that she would be pushed and have to work hard.

I have to say it's a very laudable and grown up decision, which is going to cost me 100k for the next 5 years, and I suppose if it all goes tits up & she hates it, she can always go back to state.
            That seems expensive for day school. Will she be boarding?

Comment

Could easily cost a £100K in Mittys world
              The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

No its not. 20K for a boarding school? You must be joking.
                Hard Brexit now!
                #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
                  No its not. 20K for a boarding school? You must be joking.
                  +1 In all seriousness its not.

Was around £15K per year for my brother at day school and that was quite a few years ago now.
                  The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
                    . She's come home & decided that the Private School would be best for her & her future & that she would be pushed and have to work hard.
                    Really? My two boys couldn't decide which shoe to tie first at that age. Sounds like I've got two typical state school plebs.

Does make you sound like a dad with a daughter in private school though...
                    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
                      +1 In all seriousness its not.

Was around £15K per year for my brother at day school and that was quite a few years ago now.
                      What I mean is 20K is not too much for a day school.
                      Double that for boarding.
                      Hard Brexit now!
                      #prayfornodeal

Comment

Working...
                      X