• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Paying Cash in Hand

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post

But being a smoker, I unfortunately pay more than my "fair share" of taxes.
    And so you should. The NHS spends between £5-6 billion a year treating people with smoking related diseases. Whether that is recovered from taxes is not transparent.

I'd like to see taxes on alcohol raised mahusively to counter the estimated £21 billion cost of treating related diseases, drink is still far too cheap in the UK considering how much it is abused.

Fatty foods should could be the next target. This one time I was in Newport for a client, thought I was wearing fat glasses.
    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
      And so you should. The NHS spends between £5-6 billion a year treating people with smoking related diseases. Whether that is recovered from taxes is not transparent.

I'd like to see taxes on alcohol raised mahusively to counter the estimated £21 billion cost of treating related diseases, drink is still far too cheap in the UK considering how much it is abused.

Fatty foods should could be the next target. This one time I was in Newport for a client, thought I was wearing fat glasses.
      We know they bring in about £12 billion in direct tax revenues, although that doesn't count other contributions of the tobacco industry to total tax take (for instance income tax paid by employees).

And the cost side of this equation is even trickier to pin down.

Estimates suggest costs anywhere between £3 billion and £6 billion for NHS treatments in a given year. In the longer term the total cost might be lower, since some of those who die prematurely due to smoking might otherwise have gone on to cost the service even more money due to other health conditions.
      https://fullfact.org/economy/does-sm...akes-treasury/
      The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Blue Plymouth View Post
        link

I pay cash in hand for some stuff - the local guy who does my plastering for example. He's only charging £100 per day so , frankly, I don't really begrudge him with his creative accounting and I don't see why I should be made complicit in tax evasion - the onus is surely on him?

Anyhow, that "not good citizens" line is fecking creepy.
        Interesting how a government initiative to protect workers just ends up being a tax grab....

Comment

Originally posted by Fronttoback View Post
          On the one hand you object to cash in hand but on the other you are fencing stolen goods.

HYPOCRIT!
          What the feck?

British fencer = person who put fence up in my garden.
          "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by FrontEnder View Post
            They don't (or shouldn't) for a basic bank account though.
            You can't use a basic bank account for business purposes....

Comment

Has it ever occurred to you that if the NHS was privatized and people paid for their own health insurance, the state wouldn't need to worry about any of this nannying?

(except in extreme cases, a la gin crisis of the 18th century and the Defence of the Realm act limiting beer strengths and suchlike)
              Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

...Fatty foods should could be the next target...
                You might reconsider your opinion on Fatty foods, if you really know how the companies sponsor so called medical studies and come with a solution product. It's like BBC's constant negative Brexit stories. For a starter you can read how millions of Americans became fat overnight

Comment

Originally posted by sal View Post
                  Catch 22, Banks ask for employment contract or evidence of self employment just to open a current account. How on earth are they going to setup someone to receive electronic (presumably card) payments (as anyone can receive electronic bank transfers)
                  and these days opening a business bank account in the UK is practically as complex and fraught as the Brexit negotiations!

I recently received a form to open a Cater Allen business account, and the form had more sections than Magna Carta!
                  Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

I'd hate to live in any country with you in chage
                    How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Originally posted by Troll View Post
                      I'd hate to live in any country with you in chage
                      Chage?

Comment

Working...
                      X