• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Car nicked

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by zeitghost
    A chap I worked with long long ago and far far away once left the keys to his ex-GPO van on the bonnet overnight whilst it was parked on the street.

No one pinched it.
    was that an old commer where you sat in front of the front wheels (almost)? - really weird on corners :-)

Comment

and i'm STILL not nervous

but i'm OLD enough for jehova ;-)

Comment

In the 1980's I thought that car security would be this good in the future ... no fooling K.I.T.T, make those car thieves get into some deep Eartha Kitt...

Comment

Originally posted by sbakoola View Post
          In the 1980's I thought that car security would be this good in the future ... no fooling K.I.T.T, make those car thieves get into some deep Eartha Kitt...

I could be wrong but wasn't Kitt stolen in Toronto?

Comment

i was thinking this:

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
              A chap I worked with long long ago and far far away once left the keys to his ex-GPO van on the bonnet overnight whilst it was parked on the street.

No one pinched it.
              Slight irony is that my previous GTi had an electrical issue with just the driver's door so had to lock it manually. Some nights I forgot, it was there every morning.

I've been hearing about you can get a system where you need a PIN code to start the car?

Edit: http://www.vehicletrackingtech.co.uk/vtt-pin-lock.html

qh
              Last edited by quackhandle; 14 July 2017, 08:17.
              He had a negative bluety on a quackhandle and was quadraspazzed on a lifeglug.

I look forward to your all knowing and likely sarcastic and unhelpful reply.

Comment

This issue will go away soon, when we're all driving leased leccy cars with optional autopilot (eventually mandatory autopilot), where they'll have biometric sensors to ensure only the leaseholder and permitted additional drivers can get in and move it.

The car equivalent of the boris bike will completely change the public perception of car ownership, eventually. Then it's in the interest of the supplier to secure their product.

For now, simplest deterrent I've had was when I had a Lotus with a removable steering wheel. Only those coming with a tow truck (or replacement steering wheel) would get far, and that would require pre-planning that most of the scrotes wouldn't bother with.
                Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

It's certainly been a huge wake up call in terms of security and protecting my family. What is angering me the most is that I was planning to do a lot of this, I just never got round to it, they were on my "to do" list.

Please if you are thinking of this, do it now or today. Don't be like me and sorting it out after the fact.

qh
                  He had a negative bluety on a quackhandle and was quadraspazzed on a lifeglug.

I look forward to your all knowing and likely sarcastic and unhelpful reply.

Comment

@ATW and other victims, I hope some of the off topic banter here has been entertaining at a probably unpleasant time.
                    I have myself been burgled once, well twice if I include my ex Wife, but I was also living in Gillingham in Kent so no biggy really and have long since escaped to a more civilised part of the country.

These modern tracker things are not expensive and have a very high recovery rate
                    So even if the buggers do take the car you can often get satisfaction in knowing they were quickly caught or it was quickly recovered.

I watch these guys often Iam impressed where they can hide these thing and might fit one in my electric car just to ensure it can't escape far

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWR...8VqRaDSqmCnxaw
                    So now I am worried, am I being deceived, just how much sugar is really in a spoon full!

Comment

Get one of these....

Comment

Working...
                      X