• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Grenfell rehousing

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kaiser78 View Post
    There could be a bit of a backlash brewing here which I picked up on LBC yesterday, around the number of flats which were being sub-let, with original tenants getting rent income + housing benefit, and now a nice new place to do so again. Just saying like...
    Sure - it's the key narrative of this fire.

It started very early - didn't MF say that it made him glad he had voted Brexit, some kind of barbed comment about immigration?

Comment

Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
      What happened to you?
      Nothing.

We need to take the emotion out of the situation.

1) If there had just been a fire and no one had found that allegedly someone tried to save some money on the type of cladding used would the media be anywhere near as interested in this?

2) If no one had died in the fire what would the reaction be?

So what we are dealing with is a number of people who need rehousing and that does not change.

And so we apply the rules around rehousing those in social housing as we would do in any other situation

Comment

Originally posted by Fronttoback View Post
        The notion of going to bed hungry....has gone.
        Oh, how terrible.

Comment

They are currently in a hotel.so safe. They have been offered an alternative home but declined because they felt it was too small and far away.

Sorry I don't think the council are failing they have offered 139 places to people and only 9 people have accepted.

It does seem that they feel entitled to more for some reason.
          Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by kaiser78 View Post
            There could be a bit of a backlash brewing here which I picked up on LBC yesterday, around the number of flats which were being sub-let, with original tenants getting rent income + housing benefit, and now a nice new place to do so again. Just saying like...
            Originally posted by vetran View Post
            They are currently in a hotel.so safe. They have been offered an alternative home but declined because they felt it was too small and far away.

Sorry I don't think the council are failing they have offered 139 places to people and only 9 people have accepted.

It does seem that they feel entitled to more for some reason.
            Another example of the brewing backlash as per my earlier post...

Comment

They had a survivor on R4 today - I didn't catch all of it but his points were:

Turned down flat because offered two bedrooms and need three

Turned down flat because it was 15-20min walk from the school

Turned down flat because in a different borough (Westminster)

Some residents not received proper process by local gov (help to fill in forms) because they don't speak English

We are entitled to this, we are entitled to that.

I wept for their loss, but we can only do so much to help them going forwards.

There is a shortage of social housing. There are limits to what can be done?
              http://www.cih.org/news-article/disp...housing_market

Comment

Originally posted by PurpleGorilla View Post
                They had a survivor on R4 today - I didn't catch all of it but his points were:

Turned down flat because offered two bedrooms and need three

Turned down flat because it was 15-20min walk from the school

Turned down flat because in a different borough (Westminster)

Some residents not received proper process by local gov (help to fill in forms) because they don't speak English

We are entitled to this, we are entitled to that.

I wept for their loss, but we can only do so much to help them going forwards.

There is a shortage of social housing. There are limits to what can be done?
                If they are in social housing and have children it is likely someone in the household has special needs such as a disability.

If they do have a disability that needs stuff like on-going physio and hospital appointments, then being in a different borough means they don't have continually of care. In other words they have to find a whole new set of medical staff.

While you who are fit and healthy don't think this is a problem when you and people close to you have also been ill/have life long disabilities and have had tulip from the NHS, you find out how having good practitioners makes the difference between existing and actually having a life.

Oh and they have a right to kick off - if their concerns were acted upon then the building wouldn't be gutted so would have still been habitable.
                "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                  If they are in social housing and have children it is likely someone in the household has special needs such as a disability.

If they do have a disability that needs stuff like on-going physio and hospital appointments, then being in a different borough means they don't have continually of care. In other words they have to find a whole new set of medical staff.

While you who are fit and healthy don't think this is a problem when you and people close to you have also been ill/have life long disabilities and have had tulip from the NHS, you find out how having good practitioners makes the difference between existing and actually having a life.

Oh and they have a right to kick off - if their concerns were acted upon then the building wouldn't be gutted so would have still been habitable.
                  Do they not have NHS facilities in Westminster?

I take your point, but the local gov is doing its best in really tough circumstances.

What should they do if no social housing is locally available?

Acquisition empty houses?

Keep people in hotels indefinitely?
                  http://www.cih.org/news-article/disp...housing_market

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post

They have a right to kick off about the fire. But if offered housing then they should take it, unless it's really not suitable.

The example I watched on BBC breakfast was ridiculous, mile and half away from flat, so too far etc.

Comment

Originally posted by PurpleGorilla View Post
                      Do they not have NHS facilities in Westminster?

I take your point, but the local gov is doing its best in really tough circumstances.

What should they do if no social housing is locally available?

Acquisition empty houses?

Keep people in hotels indefinitely?
                      No you clearly don't get my point about the NHS otherwise you wouldn't have written -"Do they not have NHS facilities in Westminster?"

The NHS is a complete postcode lottery on what is locally available, and even worse than that your treatment depends on the luck of getting the right health professionals around you. Moving to a different London borough, even one next door, means you will lose all of those you have carefully and luckily been able to find that makes your life worth living if you have a disability or long term illness. Until you yourself find or you have family in that situation then you will find out what I mean.

Also how was the Corporation of London able to buy a block of flats in the borough to house some of the residents? In other words there is building work going on there so more homes will be built in due course.
                      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Working...
                      X