• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Time to cut benefits?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BrilloPad
    This is the point for me to retire from the thread. Sorry about that.
    Me too - wasn't trying to be a dick. Just fascinated with your reasoning.
    http://www.cih.org/news-article/disp...housing_market

Comment

Originally posted by PurpleGorilla View Post

Too many would fritter it on sport cars and jewellery.
      The only people I know who frittered their inheritance on sports cars and jewellery don't have children school age, already have a decent size property, and/or don't have other close relations with care issues.
      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
        The only people I know who frittered their inheritance on sports cars and jewellery don't have children school age, already have a decent size property, and/or don't have other close relations with care issues.
        If the waterfall of inheritance ends, do the kids at the bottom lose out?

Comment

If the waterfall of inheritance ends, do the kids at the bottom lose out?
          I’m pretty sure tax rises are proportional to tax evasion. Why should the state get its mits on already taxed income?

Comment

Originally posted by The_Equalizer View Post
            I’m pretty sure tax rises are proportional to tax evasion. Why should the state get its mits on already taxed income?
            So will you abolish VAT on the same basis?

Comment

Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
              So will you abolish VAT on the same basis?
              Thought you had to buy stuff to encounter VAT?

Comment

You should have listened to susguro.

Comment

Originally posted by The_Equalizer View Post
                  What I mean is - if one generation decides to keep their inherited wealth, spend it on what ever they fancy, or even to pass it on to the cats home because they do not believe in inherited wealth - and the youngsters at the bottom of the waterfall inherit nothing. Have they lost out?

This is an ethical question.

Comment

What I mean is - if one generation decides to keep their inherited wealth, spend it on what ever they fancy, or even to pass it on to the cats home because they do not believe in inherited wealth - and the youngsters at the bottom of the waterfall inherit nothing. Have they lost out?

Not necessarily.

Many people leave little to nothing for the next generation.

For example all my grand parents are now dead - think in inheritance I ended up with about 20k altogether - not life changing

My parents got nothing as it skipped them and came straight to me and my brothers.

Comment

Sorry, my misunderstanding. Yes, of course they have lost out. However, the main reason that this is become such a question is that inheritance of even a relatively modest house (in terms of size) can be a life changing event financially.

Comment

Working...
                      X