• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Wise Christian words to understand the tragedy of Grenfell Tower...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wise Christian words to understand the tragedy of Grenfell Tower...

...and why such evil exists in the world.

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2...church-service

But when Father Robert Thompson, the curate of St Clements and a local Labour councillor, stood to deliver the sermon, the anger, this time crystallised and controlled, was there once more.

Quoting Thomas Cranmer’s words that “in the midst of life we are in death”, Thompson said of his church: “This place speaks so rawly and clearly of the proximity of life and death. As we sit at the foot of Grenfell Tower, which has been described by some as a gigantic tomb, we reflect on the many who have lost their lives, who have had them taken away so quickly, so horrendously and, as we now know, so needlessly”.

The last week had shown the connectedness of human society, in the “most extraordinary outpouring of human solidarity in the face of catastrophe,” he said. But it had also shown what was missing from culture and society.

“The poorest people of this area don’t feel listened to this week or in previous years,” said Thompson. “Some people it seems are just excess debris for our neoliberal, unequal, individualistic, capitalist and consumerist culture.”

In the church which had born witness to the visit of prime minister Theresa May – 24 hours after she had been criticised for not talking to residents when she first visited the scene – Thompson said the last six days had shown the importance of face to face communication and connectedness.

It was that face to face communication, he said, which had been “sadly lacking by those in power this week.”

Addressing what he said was the violence which had been exhibited in some areas on the streets of the community in the past few days, Thompson said it was the product of much anger – an anger he felt.

“But the violence of the political and economic system is one that is just as prevalent. Violence that is perpetrated by the ruling class on our community is just as, if not more, problematic than the anger that has found physical manifestation on the streets of our community.”

"neoliberal, unequal, individualistic, capitalist and consumerist culture"

Yep.
    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why they are poor, they call me a communist.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H%C3%A9lder_C%C3%A2mara

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
        When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why they are poor, they call me a communist.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H%C3%A9lder_C%C3%A2mara
        Very good.

As Eric Heffer said:

Jesus Christ was not a conservative.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
          When I did both they called me...?
          Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
            When I did both they called me...?
            A communist.

HTH

Comment

What is a neoliberal?

i've heard the term bandied about recently but I don't really know what it means and why it's being used as an insult.
              "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
              - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
                What is a neoliberal?

i've heard the term bandied about recently but I don't really know what it means and why it's being used as an insult.
                Xoggoth could be described as one due to his thread about the welfare system distorting the economy.
                "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
                  What is a neoliberal?

Neoliberalism is a term for different social and economic ideas. Originally the term was used by a group of liberals who helped shape social market economy in the mid 20th century. Today, this term is mostly used by people who are critical of the ideas of globalisation and as well by trade unionists
                  'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Xoggoth could be described as one due to his thread about the welfare system distorting the economy
                    Checked on Wikipedia. Yep. Sounds like me.

PS I originally mistyped and checked on Sickipedia. That sounds even more like me.
                    Last edited by xoggoth; 19 June 2017, 11:29.
                    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
                    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Working...
                    X