• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Brexit Doom from a Swiss newspaper - The laughing stock of Europe

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tomtomagain View Post
    I guess the remoaners are stuck in a difficult place. I voted remain, but I'm not moaning about it. We lost the war, but don't have to lose the peace too.

Have been constantly prattling on about how awful it's going to be ( immediate recession anybody? ) there's a strong possibility that actually when it comes down to it ... it might not be. Individual remoaners will have to deal with that in their own way. I know that admitting you were wrong is difficult, but you might want to start practising. Always good to have a "Plan B".
    10 years. Give it 10 years and it'll begin to calm down. We still talk about 2008 like it were last year. And yes proper austerity has not even yet begun.

This is a generational chance to reset the relationship with Europe. The UK has always sat uneasily with Europe, the EU project wants to push for closer integration of the member states, that's something that the UK has never wanted. With the UK out of the equation Germany, France, Italy can continue their chosen path to ever closer union.

A decent BREXIT lets the EU get on with what it wants and the UK to forge along the lines that it wants. It does not mean an end to all cooperation and doom-and-gloom.
    This is a generational chance to destroy our relationship with Europe. It was taken 60+ years to build it. 6 months to seriously fracture it.

The country is being led astray by an advisory vote created from Tory party infighting. I see no opportunity here. Perhaps shorting the pound. The world is growing ever smaller and the UK's voice in the world just became a lot smaller.
    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

The German newspapers are reporting that the situation looks totally hopeless as long as UK sticks to its Hard Brexit mantra. Lots of smiles, but no realistic demands from the British.
      I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
        The German newspapers are reporting that the situation looks totally hopeless as long as UK sticks to its Hard Brexit mantra. Lots of smiles, but no realistic demands from the British.
        Place you bets, the British media will blame the EU for not getting the same goodies as a member would. Mark my words.

Why is it the indebted expect to be saved from the charity of others? Greece a prime example. Takes the credit card to the limit before blaming the EU. Seems the UK is going down the same road.. blaming everyone but themselves.
        "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
          Place you bets, the British media will blame the EU for not getting the same goodies as a member would. Mark my words.

Why is it the indebted expect to be saved from the charity of others? Greece a prime example. Takes the credit card to the limit before blaming the EU. Seems the UK is going down the same road.. blaming everyone but themselves.
          We are starting to move from:

1. We are better off outside the nasty EU,

to...

2. We are worse off outside the nasty EU, because the nasty EU is punishing us, which proves we are better off outside the nasty EU.

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
            The UK doesn't have a "Hard BREXIT" mantra. Some elements of the media might, but the UK government doesn't.

The only people saying hard-BREXIT are the remoaners.

The UK position is to create a deep and special relationship with the EU. As has been said time and time again.

Comment

The UK doesn't have a "Hard BREXIT" mantra. Some elements of the media might, but the UK government doesn't.

The UK position is to create a deep and special relationship with the EU. As has been said time and time again.
              Inside or outside the Single Market and Customs Union?

Comment

Please note readers: all comment that laugh at Brexit must be posted from outside the UK only.

Comment

Yes it does, "Hard" Brexit is defined as getting out of single market and customs unions, this is exactly what Govt says it will do.

Comment

...and when the EU lays out it's conditions for a "deep and special relationship" no-one can see how the British will agree to those conditions.

1) Freedom of movement
                    2) Paying into the budget
                    3) Agreeing to their regulations administered by the ECJ or an equivalent (eg Switzerland)
                    I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by Mordac View Post
                      The difference being we'd be paying according to what we want to access, not how quickly the feckless Eurocrats can spend it. (Hopefully)
                      So if we end up paying same money you'd be happy? The NHS needs those £350 mln per week!

Comment

Working...
                      X