• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The Tories would be mad to call an election now

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by The_Equalizer View Post
    Trouble with those fees is the numbers going to university make it impossible to return to the days where it would be free. It's been mentioned here - and all over the place - but why not make core (say STEM) degrees have free places? It would also increase competition for these places and therefore standards too. Double win.
    Why does the UK need a load of engineers stacking shelves? Better to invest in creative / media graduates for the creative sector and whatever degrees feed the spiv financial services. The UK needs to play to its strengths.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
      Why does the UK need a load of engineers stacking shelves? Better to invest in creative / media graduates for the creative sector and whatever degrees feed the spiv financial services. The UK needs to play to its strengths.
      I see what you did there. Very good.

Comment

Originally posted by SlipTheJab View Post
        If they do they will have to trade in their minibus which they use to transport their ENTIRE number of UK MPs around for maybe a motorbike with side car , and the can then also hold their conference after the next election in a telephone box
        A small party indeed, but enough to sideline the intransigent Hard Brexiteers in their own party, which is precisely why they're talking to them.

I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by The_Equalizer View Post
          I see what you did there. Very good.
          Thank you.

Comment

Philip Hammond formulating a new strategy

You can see where this is going.

I'm alright Jack

Comment

The final straw, May probably to be replaced

She's done it again.

Looks like a new leader such as Ruth Davidson or Philip Hammond will be taking over, which is why the Tory whips are all over the Lib Dems.

We know what that means
              I'm alright Jack

Comment

Now...next week, next month, doesn't matter. Any further election within at least the next 6 months would, IMO, see Labour pick up even more seats including most of the marginals they just missed out on - almost certainly not enough to get a majority but enough to get them close enough to form a working majority with other progressive parties in the house.

To be honest, if the current government does collapse and Labour try and form a government, they would have no choice but to call another election and hope they can get it through Parliament. The last election was a good result for them in context but they'd have even less hope of forming a working majority than the Tories.

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
                  That's why they're holding talks with the Lib-Dems.

Tories hold talks with the Lib-Dems about a possible coalition
                  I don't believe this will happen but if it did then the only way LD supporters would ever support this is if they secured a second referendum on the EU deal - even then I think they'd end up losing even more seats in the future. Can't see that happening myself.

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
                    If I was a Tory supporter I'd be livid at just how inept May has shown herself to be in the past month. Own goal after own goal.

Comment

Originally posted by TheCyclingProgrammer View Post
                      If I was a Tory supporter I'd be livid at just how inept May has shown herself to be in the past month. Own goal after own goal.
                      Frightening isn't it... You couldn't make it up... you really couldn't.

The Tories need to elect a (decent) new leader sooner rather than later and start trying to make things up to the electorate, otherwise I fear they'll be out in the cold for years.

No idea who that could be though....
                      Do what thou wilt

Comment

Working...
                      X