• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The future for oil?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mordac View Post
    If I had to guess, we'd need something like 100k points in my borough alone. I have no idea how much they cost, but I wouldn't expect the cost of digging up the pavement and installation to be any less than £10k each.
    Not going to happen.
    Do you think there would be any economies of scale if they didn't dig up the road 100k times for each individual charging point, or have you taken that into account with your 10k per point estimate?

Comment

If everyone who currently uses internal combustion switched to electric in my area, we'd need a charging point every ten feet or so on virtually every road in the borough. Nice idea, but not practical I'm afraid.
      And there will be no Polish builders or sparkies to put them in.
      When freedom comes along, don't PISH in the water supply.....

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
        That's what they say about Fusion power.

I doubt whether the problems are surmountable, you're fighting "basic physics".
        You're just saying that because you want to destroy the world with global warming.

Comment

Forget charging points on motorway services, they can provide electricity overhead on motorways like how a dodgem car works.

Though they'll go with the under tarmac induction method just so they can spend another decade with roadworks all over the place when they've finished the 'smart' motorways.
          Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

Originally posted by Guesstimator View Post
            You're not expected to have a car.
            The future doesn't lie with people having their own cars but you calling one and it self driving to your house then to wherever you want to go.
            TaaS like the report says...like CityCar or ZipCar or whatever they're called but times a gazillion.
            There'll be a lot of resistance but tbh I think it makes a lot of sense across the board.
            Now that will need a whole different mindset. Insurance, for example, will be a minefield. If your self driving car crashes, how do you prove it wasn't your fault for insurance purposes? I don't think any of this has even been considered.
            His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Originally posted by TestMangler View Post
              And there will be no Polish builders or sparkies to put them in.
              I hadn't considered that, but it's a very good point.
              His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Now that will need a whole different mindset. Insurance, for example, will be a minefield. If your self driving car crashes, how do you prove it wasn't your fault for insurance purposes? I don't think any of this has even been considered.
                You won't own the car. The current calculations are that it will be cheaper to use a car on demand than it will be to fill a car with fuel...
                merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
                  You won't own the car. The current calculations are that it will be cheaper to use a car on demand than it will be to fill a car with fuel...
                  I know, but I was asking who's responsible for the insurance? You as the "passenger" or the hire-co? Makes a big difference if someone is killed.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
                    Do you think there would be any economies of scale if they didn't dig up the road 100k times for each individual charging point, or have you taken that into account with your 10k per point estimate?
                    Knowing how local councils usually work, probably not.

Comment

I hadn't considered that, but it's a very good point.
                      Good old fashioned British workers will take back control.

"I'll be there a week on Tuesday guv, maybe Wednesday, no later that three weeks on Thursday, no not Thursday, the labourer signs on on a Thursday"
                      When freedom comes along, don't PISH in the water supply.....

Comment

Working...
                      X