• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

CatFlap

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've got the previous panel up in the attic

jesus it was heavy

Milan.

Comment

Originally posted by The_Equalizer View Post
      Double glazing is only really good for sound insulation. To preserve heat, just get heavy curtains.
      Apparently secondary glazing is better for sound insulation.

Comment

I can feel a patent coming on, or an appearance on Dragon's Den, and perhaps untold wealth coming my way!

As my earlier post implied, the key to animal training is gradual acclimatization, i.e. start small.

So how about "the vertically adjustable cat flap"?

When first installed it is just a square hole, with the flap and side support rolled up like a venetian blind so the cat barely notices it when it brushes past beneath it.

But each day you unwind the flap downward a bit further, so it covers more and more of the gap, and the cat gradually gets used to barging through an ever larger flap.
        Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Have to be careful handling safety glass. I was shifting a big panel from our front door, put too much strain on one area and it exploded into thousands of tiny bits.
          bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
          John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

You could make a large version of a cat flap to tempt in burglars. Then have a large version of a mouse trap just inside.
            bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
            John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by milanbenes View Post
              I've got the previous panel up in the attic

jesus it was heavy

Milan.
              We had a cat flap put into our patio doors - I did briefly consider keeping the (perfectly good) original pane but had nowhere to store it.. and yes.... 'kin heavy!

The mogs will get used to it eventually... you just need to persevere with treats on the otherside the flap etc..

I tried lying down by the flap and pushing my hand in and out of it - the cats just sat and watched me with that "what's the stupid human doing now?" look on their faces
              Do what thou wilt

Comment

Originally posted by Dark Black View Post
                We had a cat flap put into our patio doors - I did briefly consider keeping the (perfectly good) original pane but had nowhere to store it.. and yes.... 'kin heavy!

The mogs will get used to it eventually... you just need to persevere with treats on the otherside the flap etc..

I tried lying down by the flap and pushing my hand in and out of it - the cats just sat and watched me with that "what's the stupid human doing now?" look on their faces
                yeah I've been teaching them by shoving them through it at any opportunity, they don't really seem to warm to that approach and run off each time

Milan.

Comment

Magnet type ones are crap. Never work.

We gave up on that. Ours is just a 4 way locking one.

Mrs is currently fostering some kittens so catflap was locked and we forgot to unlock it. Our cat who is a big bugger managed to smash his way through. Good effort mind.
                  Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
                    Magnet type ones are crap. Never work.

We gave up on that. Ours is just a 4 way locking one.

Mrs is currently fostering some kittens so catflap was locked and we forgot to unlock it. Our cat who is a big bugger managed to smash his way through. Good effort mind.
                    The magnetic ones are usually ok... until the moggy throws it's collar along with the magnet.. or (like us) you have a cat which will not wear a collar (I kid you not, Houdini had nothing on my cat when it comes to getting a collar off).

So we got a microchip reading flap which works really well, and has the added bonus of only letting in cats with chips it's been programmed to recognise.
                    Do what thou wilt

Comment

Our cat flap lets them out. Not in. We don't mind dead animals being bought in. However live rats is too much.

Comment

Working...
                      X