• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

London Tower Block Inferno

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

looks absolutely horrific

I'm just hoping people leave a reasonable amount of time before the usual C**Ts politicise this

Comment

Lessons must be learnt
      http://www.cih.org/news-article/disp...housing_market

Comment

Originally posted by Whorty View Post
        Horrendous! Feels like I'm watching twin towers again. Poor souls stuck inside, and you know many didn't get out. Jump or suffer the fire - what a choice for the poor people.

Refurbished recently...... On the cheap?!?
        The outside cladding was oil-based polystyrene and has caused problems in Middle East.
        "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by PurpleGorilla View Post
          Residents were told in a fire to stay in flat (behind fire door) with a wet towel on the floor...

The people alive ignored that advice.

Like the Korean kids on the ferry.

Use your wits, don't blindly follow... Easy to say.
          The point is not that expert advice is always right, rather that if you follow expert advice you are more likely to survive than if you don't. Unless you have enough information and knowledge to know that the expert advice is not appropriate in the current situation, you should not follow your wits.
          Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
            The outside cladding was oil-based polystyrene and has caused problems in Middle East.
            Yes this one, I thought at the time if they were using that elsewhere then more deaths were likely.

https://www.thestar.com/business/201...n-inferno.html

I cannot see how they passed their fire inspection if the alarm & sprinklers weren't working.

Poor people, horrific for them.
            Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by PurpleGorilla View Post
              Lessons must be learnt
              What?

1. Don't do tower block building work on the cheap?

2. Don't let residents alter kitchen and bathrooms on their own like with the Barbican Centre?
              "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

If the cladding is attached to battens, creating a gap between the building and the cladding, that's a perfect space to draw air, and thus flame, up the full height of the building very quickly. Temperatures will rise extremely fast and the building is as good as lost.

There are bound to be standards for the fire resistance of the battens and the cladding, but one the temperature reaches a critical point, that's it.

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
                  The point is not that expert advice is always right, rather that if you follow expert advice you are more likely to survive than if you don't. Unless you have enough information and knowledge to know that the expert advice is not appropriate in the current situation, you should not follow your wits.
                  It's a difficult one. Yes, expert advise is usually best to follow, but don't blindly follow it either.

Improvise Adapt Overcome
                  http://www.cih.org/news-article/disp...housing_market

Comment

The councillor that was on TV this morning said that with the recent refurb it should have been the safest tower block in the area.

You'd hope that today's standards are vastly superior to what was used when these buildings were built in the 60s. I'm sure we'll find out in many months time. Combination of factors nobody thought was possible probably.

When I turned on the TV and saw a burning tower block I did immediately think it was another 9/11.
                    Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

It's amazing that these tall tower blocks aren't compelled to have a huge water tank on the roof, from where a sprinkler system can automatically draw water to douse any fire before it spreads.

Actually, it isn't very surprising at all, because that would cost a few extra pennies.
                      Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Working...
                      X