• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

I've quite literally ran out of pi$$

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by motoukenin View Post
    Nope she tried to put a cap on student visas in the first place, remember it well as I was listening to a professor of a UK university completely dumbfounded by her logic as this is a section of immigrants that largely go back after and spend huge sums of money when they are here.
    FFS Students are not immigrants.
    They may be potential immigrants but while they are studying they are not.
    The vast majority leave, hopefully we can keep some of the best.
    This country (in common with many others in the Anglosphere) has a successful model of selling its further education abroad, classing all those who come to study here as immigrants will obviously skew the headline immigration figures.
    There is an alternative - stop students coming to study here, lose their massive fee payments and watch our education sector become even worse than it is.

The stupidity of some politicians never ceases to amaze me.
    Hard Brexit now!
    #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by tomtomagain View Post
      Yeah no government has ever made a U-Turn or had an electoral set-back.

Belgium was unable to form a government for 589 days.

Did that make it a laughing stock? No, it was just following its own democratic norms, even if they seem a bit unusual to an outsider like me. Italy changes government on a highly frequent basis, does that make it a laughing stock? No, they are just following their democratic norms, even though they seem a bit unusual to an outsider like me.

You just want to sneer at the UK. It's what you do best. And in a country that promotes free speech entirely within your rights.

But don't make the mistake of confusing your own prejudice with fact.
      Last time I checked Belgium and Italy weren't trying to leave the EU while talking tulipe to their various institutions.
      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
        the stupidity of people never ceases to amaze me.
        ftfy hth bidi
        merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by motoukenin View Post
          Nope she tried to put a cap on student visas in the first place, remember it well as I was listening to a professor of a UK university completely dumbfounded by her logic as this is a section of immigrants that largely go back after and spend huge sums of money when they are here.
          I don't remember that. I do remember something about looking at the criteria for student visas, but that was as far as it got.

I have experience of one university, pretty big one, that was in serious financial trouble because it wasn't collecting fees for its courses. Also, it was a known problem that foreign students didn't turn up for lectures and had jobs.
          Last edited by woohoo; 13 June 2017, 11:18.

Comment

Originally posted by woohoo View Post
            I thought her plan was stop students staying in the country after graduation, so they would have to apply for a visa to stay?

I wish that she would encourage universities to chase up debt from their students.
            And hospitals to chase up payments from foreign nationals.
            His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
              ftfy hth bidi
              Indeed poor AssGuru, had no idea there was widespread & systematic abuse of the student visa system as documented by these right wing sources.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk/2012/...00-immigration

Up to 50,000 people may have entered Britain to work rather than study in the first year of the government's student migration controls, a highly critical report by the National Audit Office (NAO) claims.

MPs called for the troubled UK Border Agency to "get a grip and fix the way it deals with student visas" after saying the report exposed one of the most shocking examples of poor management leading to abuse.

https://www.theguardian.com/educatio...-tougher-rules

Curtailment of 100,000 student visas sparks row - BBC News

Of the educational establishments that lost their licences, there were
              199 in 2013
              129 in 2014
              72 in 2015
              Some later had their licences reinstated - but, overall, the number of establishments holding them fell from 1,706 in 2013 to 1,405 by the end of last year.
              Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
                Never in my adult life have I known a government to screw up so much
                You don't follow Scottish politics then?

Comment

Originally posted by tomtomagain View Post
                  Yeah no government has ever made a U-Turn or had an electoral set-back.

Belgium was unable to form a government for 589 days.

Did that make it a laughing stock? No, it was just following its own democratic norms, even if they seem a bit unusual to an outsider like me. Italy changes government on a highly frequent basis, does that make it a laughing stock? No, they are just following their democratic norms, even though they seem a bit unusual to an outsider like me.

You just want to sneer at the UK. It's what you do best. And in a country that promotes free speech entirely within your rights.

But don't make the mistake of confusing your own prejudice with fact.
                  Well said - it is easy to sit and mock people - much harder to get off your ar$e and make a difference.

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                  Last time I checked Belgium and Italy weren't trying to leave the EU while talking tulipe to their various institutions.
                  No but the Italian economy is fooked.

As for Belgians well they put mayo on their chips so take what you want from that!

Comment

Originally posted by woohoo View Post
                    I don't remember that. I do remember something about looking at the criteria for student visas, but that was as far as it got.

I have experience of one university, pretty big one, that was in serious financial trouble because it wasn't collecting fees for its courses. Also, it was a known problem that foreign students didn't turn up for lectures and had jobs.
                    Some universities in the know​ demand 50% advance payment per academic year then the next installment before January. They then can bar non-payers from summer exams. They are however more lenient if the student is being sponsored by foreign government.....

Comment

Shower of tulip!

linky

Arlene Foster, the DUP leader, and her deputy Nigel Dodds, the leader of the DUP group at Westminster, have arrived at No 10 for talks with Theresa May about the Tory/DUP “confidence and supply agreement”. This is the deal that will keep the minority Conservative government in power by ensuring that the 10 DUP MPs vote with it on confidence motions and key budget votes.

Comment

Working...
                      X