• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

I've quite literally ran out of pi$$

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tomtomagain View Post
    I don't see why it should be a laughing stock. The UK is just following its democratic processes. Sometimes asking the people to vote delivers a result that the political establishment did not want.

I think it would be a laughing stock if the establishment simply re-ran referendums until it got the result it wanted or when an election was held ignored the result.
    But it is a laughing stock, the amount of u-turns, getting non-elected people to put a manifesto together that isn't accepted, unable to form a government and when they do its with the front for a terrorist organisation and so on. Couldn't organise the proverbial piss-up...Nothing to do with referendums but with the fact that the leading party are incompetent and are being shown up as such
    Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by meridian View Post
      Both funny and depressing in equal measures. How hard is it really to produce a manifesto for the country and not for your mates?

"What shall we put in the manifesto for the young voters?"
      "I know, fox hunting! Tearing a wee fox and cubs apart with dogs has really got my Tarquin's vote!"
      "Great idea! That'll get the kids on our side...."
      The Manifesto really makes me think there is a possibility the Tories deliberately screwed this one up (there was a thread mentioning this before). Something is not quite right about this and maybe they realised the burden of Brexit is just too much.

Comment

Originally posted by tomtomagain View Post
        I don't see why it should be a laughing stock. The UK is just following its democratic processes.
        Not true. Both the referendum and this election were entirely unnecessary. Neither were part of the normal democratic process. The politicians have invited a tulipestorm and the people obliged by voting for it. That's why we're a laughing stock.
        Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by NorthWestPerm2Contr View Post
          The Manifesto really makes me think there is a possibility the Tories deliberately screwed this one up (there was a thread mentioning this before). Something is not quite right about this and maybe they realised the burden of Brexit is just too much.
          Yup.
          The manifesto was a perfect example of an exercise in how to alienate your key electorate

The Brexit "burden" can now all be shared and the Tories live to fight another day.
          The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by NorthWestPerm2Contr View Post

No, believe it, May is that stupid.

When she was home secretary she was told to get immigration down to 100000, she then decided to stop students coming in but was politely told that they pay a lot of money to support our universities and that was not such a clever idea. Moronic to the core.
            Warning unicorn meat may give you hallucinations

Comment

Originally posted by motoukenin View Post

When she was home secretary she was told to get immigration down to 100000, she then decided to stop students coming in but was politely told that they pay a lot of money to support our universities and that was not such a clever idea. Moronic to the core.
              A more intelligent Home Secretary would have excluded students from the immigration figure - she was even told to do this by other parties.
              "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by motoukenin View Post

I thought her plan was stop students staying in the country after graduation, so they would have to apply for a visa to stay?

I wish that she would encourage universities to chase up debt from their students.

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
                  so hard is my laughter watching them Tories tear themselves apart on the news. Never in my adult life have I known a government to screw up so much. And yet still so many Murdoch readers are ready to defend their appalling record.

Right... Off to drink more water..
                  Call yourself a Scot?
                  His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Originally posted by woohoo View Post
                    I thought her plan was stop students staying in the country after graduation, so they would have to apply for a visa to stay?

I wish that she would encourage universities to chase up debt from their students.
                    Nope she tried to put a cap on student visas in the first place, remember it well as I was listening to a professor of a UK university completely dumbfounded by her logic as this is a section of immigrants that largely go back after and spend huge sums of money when they are here.

She also got into trouble with the Police using arguments that were complete nonsense, accusing them of wasting public funds. 2 days later MP's gave themselves a huge pay rise. She is a complete numpty and needs to go before doing any more damage.
                    Warning unicorn meat may give you hallucinations

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
                      But it is a laughing stock, the amount of u-turns, getting non-elected people to put a manifesto together that isn't accepted, unable to form a government and when they do its with the front for a terrorist organisation and so on. Couldn't organise the proverbial piss-up...Nothing to do with referendums but with the fact that the leading party are incompetent and are being shown up as such
                      Yeah no government has ever made a U-Turn or had an electoral set-back.

Belgium was unable to form a government for 589 days.

Did that make it a laughing stock? No, it was just following its own democratic norms, even if they seem a bit unusual to an outsider like me. Italy changes government on a highly frequent basis, does that make it a laughing stock? No, they are just following their democratic norms, even though they seem a bit unusual to an outsider like me.

You just want to sneer at the UK. It's what you do best. And in a country that promotes free speech entirely within your rights.

But don't make the mistake of confusing your own prejudice with fact.

Comment

Working...
                      X