• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Living on a Narrowboat

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Pip in a Poke View Post
    Yep - he just took precautions to stop the water getting in through the windows & down the companionway etc. That was it. I'd have been worried about the weather forecast being wrong, getting caught out in a heavy sea and the whole vessel breaking in two.
    Risky move without any form of keel!
    http://www.cih.org/news-article/disp...housing_market

Comment

Originally posted by PurpleGorilla View Post
      Risky move without any form of keel!
      I think he took on some form of ballast for the channel crossing as well.

Comment

I cycle along a canal regularly.
        You would of course need to stop washing, grow dreadlocks and get a dog.

My other top tip is if a boat looks like it might sink, it quite possibly will.

Comment

I should really hire one for a week. The problem there is that the configuration of a hire boat isn't to my taste & I'd be going for something decked out in a more traditional style with woodburners etc
          Look into getting a share. Pay for the 'share' and then it's maintenance costs on top. Add in Fuel etc when you take the boat out. If you don't like sell the share. We currently have a share for sale in our boat:

Our Narrowboat
          Others are available but if you wish to keep costs to a minimum buy one on a boat older than 15 years as the share price won't drop any lower.

It can be tricky when on a contract to let the client know you can't move your unavailable date.

Comment

Originally posted by jds 1981 View Post

Any particular breed or look of dog?

PIP needs to get these things right.
            "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by jds 1981 View Post

You don't need to own a boat, or a dog, to align yourself with the cosmos, man

The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post

Where's the dog?
                "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                  Where's the dog?
                  I knew there would be one

Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
                  The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                    Any particular breed or look of dog?

PIP needs to get these things right.
                    Anything attached to a bit of baler twine will do.

Comment

Originally posted by NigelJK View Post
                      Look into getting a share. Pay for the 'share' and then it's maintenance costs on top. Add in Fuel etc when you take the boat out. If you don't like sell the share. We currently have a share for sale in our boat:

Our Narrowboat
                      Others are available but if you wish to keep costs to a minimum buy one on a boat older than 15 years as the share price won't drop any lower.

It can be tricky when on a contract to let the client know you can't move your unavailable date.
                      Don't tell AtW eek

Stove - Squirrel solid fuel
                      Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Working...
                      X