• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

So who did BA outsource their IT to?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by original PM View Post
    Are we really supposed to believe that a company as large as TCS do not have this level of basic protection against outages?
    Even if it was meteorite hitting whole datacenter and destroying everything - they should have had another one hundreds of miles away as backup ready to go at moments notice.

Comment

Are we really supposed to believe that a company as large as TCS do not have this level of basic protection against outages?
      Yes

TCS are a complete and utter bunch of incompetent bollock juggling idiots
      Yes again
      How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur."

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
          A colleague at client site used to work for BA, so asked around. Allegedly...

TCS were told to apply some security patches - Linux and Windows. They applied them, then shutdown and attempted to restart the entire data centre. This immediately caused various components to fail. Memory chips and network cards particularly affected. Hence "power supply issue". Since TCS were given 24 hours to apply the patches and did it in ten minutes, they're due a bonus*.

* This bit I made up.
          environments affected: all
          change impact: none
          system reboot required: none
          time required for change: 4 hours

maintenance change will be conducted when system is required the least.

Comment

Originally posted by Bluenose View Post
            maintenance change will be conducted when system is required the least.
            Saturday before Bank Holiday seems like a good time...

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
              Even if it was meteorite hitting whole datacenter and destroying everything - they should have had another one hundreds of miles away as backup ready to go at moments notice.
              +1

But in some ways the complete destruction of a single physical site is easy to deal with.
              What is more insidious is when you have data destruction. Data deletes can spread from PROD to DR to UAT systems in seconds, and can require a manual restore from backup.
              I should know. 10 years ago I deleted all rows from a PROD database table by mistake. I was only saved by my own quick thinking - I jumped onto the DR site and exported the content of the table into a new table before the delete came through (Replication was that slow!).

Comment

Originally posted by GJABS View Post
                +1

But in some ways the complete destruction of a single physical site is easy to deal with.
                What is more insidious is when you have data destruction. Data deletes can spread from PROD to DR to UAT systems in seconds, and can require a manual restore from backup.
                I should know. 10 years ago I deleted all rows from a PROD database table by mistake. I was only saved by my own quick thinking - I jumped onto the DR site and exported the content of the table into a new table before the delete came through (Replication was that slow!).
                Then air gap them its what we do

Comment

BA, Sainsburys, Crapita and now it looks like the Telegraph is down

Wot a weekend

Comment

Originally posted by Troll View Post
                    BA, Sainsburys, Crapita and now it looks like the Telegraph is down

Wot a weekend
                    Telegraph looks like its just the Home page

Comment

Originally posted by GJABS View Post
                      I should know. 10 years ago I deleted all rows from a PROD database table by mistake. I was only saved by my own quick thinking - I walked out of the door and flown to Brazil
                      FTFY

Comment

Working...
                      X